Question

PointcloudXYZ writer precision

• 12 December 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello,

With help from this community I was able to round the x,y,z coordinates of a pointcloud (see->Rounding IFMEPointCloud XYZ components) and it seems to work when I click on individual points they have 3 digital numbers (=precision). However, when I write them with the Pointcloudxyz writer to a .xyz file the precision is not correct. This topic has been discussed here: https://community.safe.com/s/bridea/a0r4Q00000HbrBDQAZ/point-cloud-writer-support-precision-control. Is there already a solution in place ?

I also tried the pointcloudtopointcoercer-> coordinate extractor -> csv writer but the first transformer is already taking a long time to run so it would not be an efficient solution.

Thank you!

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

Currently in FME I believe the PointCloudToPointCoercer method would be the only solution to get the exact precision you are looking for. (I go into more detail in this post) I realize that this would not work for a large point cloud, but unfortunately currently FME does not offer a specific tool to do this with point clouds. For anyone interested in this functionality, please vote on the idea for the developers to include this in a future release.

Sorry for the inconvenience.