Question

AreaOnAreaOverlayer moves feature border more than tolerance distance

• 9 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge
  • Contributor
  • 1 reply

I want to make sure objects resulting from the AreaOnAreaOverlayer are wider than 5 cm. For this I use a Tolerance value of 5 cm. In some situations however, it moves the border of objects more than that value (around 20 cm) where I would expect it would just create an object of 20 cm wide. I'm using FME 2021.1 build 21619. See the attached template for the data, the situation occurs near the red arrow:

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

I don't believe the Tolerance will get you the desired result in this case. I would set that back to Automatic, and try this expression in an ExpressionEvaluator. This will give you a thinness ratio where the lower the number, the 'thinner' a feature is. This is ratio, not related to the actual width of the feature.

(4*3.14*(@Area()/(@Length()*@Length())))*10000

imageOn another note, I'm not sure what your overall goal is, but the Dissolver transformer might be a good alternative to avoid the thin features all together.

Badge

Thanks, however, I need an absolute value for the width; not a relative one. In most situations it works fine... this situation seems to be the exception.