Question

[Megathread] FME Desktop 2023.0 Beta - Feedback and Discussions

Userlevel 2
Badge +14

Hello FME Community. We are trying out something new with a Beta Megathread!

With the release of the FME Desktop 2023.0 Beta, we'd love to get your feedback on any of the new features. Download the Beta and test it out.

Use this thread to provide feedback, report minor bugs, or even start a discussion. If you've submitted another question or a new idea related to FME 2023, add the link(s) to the comments. If you do find a production-impacting bug, please create a support case.

See the Change Log for up-to-date information on what is new, updated, or fixed.

Note that Beta builds can be removed from the downloads page at any time, and new features may be removed in a build without notice. Please do not use a Beta for production. For more information on FME Betas, see the FAQ.

Once the FME Server 2023 beta is available, another Megathread for FME Server will be published and linked here.

Happy testing!

27 replies

Badge +3

Thanks for consolidating the discussion. I'm linking a thread on the new parameter conditional visibility feature here.

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

@lizatsafe​ Is there an official release date set for FME2023?

Found an issue with the Visual Preview running the Apple Silicon Tech Preview version of FME Desktop 2023.0 for 64-bit macOS (Beta). In the 2022 versions, selecting an output and going to Zoom Extents works as expected. But in the 2023 version, it repositions the map (MAPBOX_WMTS: mapbox/streets-v11) somewhere over China and changes to UNKNOWN UNITS.

screen shot of Visual Preview with Unknown UnitsIf I close the workspace, and then open it in 2022 Mac version, it works as expected:

screen sot of zoom to extents in 2022Aside: the 2023 Apple Silicon version runs the same workspace 37% faster.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@lizatsafe​ Is there an official release date set for FME2023?

We're avoiding specific dates at this point, but in general, it will be in the late April/May timeframe.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Found an issue with the Visual Preview running the Apple Silicon Tech Preview version of FME Desktop 2023.0 for 64-bit macOS (Beta). In the 2022 versions, selecting an output and going to Zoom Extents works as expected. But in the 2023 version, it repositions the map (MAPBOX_WMTS: mapbox/streets-v11) somewhere over China and changes to UNKNOWN UNITS.

screen shot of Visual Preview with Unknown UnitsIf I close the workspace, and then open it in 2022 Mac version, it works as expected:

screen sot of zoom to extents in 2022Aside: the 2023 Apple Silicon version runs the same workspace 37% faster.

Glad to know about the performance! I'm assuming that is comparing FME 2023 Apple Silicon against FME 2022 Intel? Anyway I've had amazing results myself with the Apple Silicon builds...but the team has also really beefed up performance across a wide range of transformers. Can't wait to release it.

We'll check into the zoom problem. We did a bunch of work on speeding 2d data display and I suspect this is related.

If you could share info about your workspace (what transformers, what data volume) that would be useful, but if not, we're just happy to know you're getting some great results.

Glad to know about the performance! I'm assuming that is comparing FME 2023 Apple Silicon against FME 2022 Intel? Anyway I've had amazing results myself with the Apple Silicon builds...but the team has also really beefed up performance across a wide range of transformers. Can't wait to release it.

We'll check into the zoom problem. We did a bunch of work on speeding 2d data display and I suspect this is related.

If you could share info about your workspace (what transformers, what data volume) that would be useful, but if not, we're just happy to know you're getting some great results.

A reply from Dale himself - I feel honoured - thank you!

The 37% performance comparison was on a Macbook Pro M2 Max comparing FME version 2022.2 with FME 2023.0. Out of interest, I compared the 2022.2 execution of the same workspace on my other work Intel laptop and saw an improvement of closer to 50%. Wow!

For my particular workspace, the bottleneck is the LineOnLineOverlayer v9. I'm overlaying 29,000 routes to determine which segments are most trafficked.

I also have a PythonCaller v4 that feels like a slow way to get to the goal, but I've documented this in a feature request (decoding a polyline that is encoded to 6 decimal places instead of Google's implementation of 5 decimal places)

Userlevel 2
Badge +14

Hi @geographix​ 

FMEDESKTOP-13899 has been opened to investigate the zoom issue. Would you be able to provide the exact steps necessary to reproduce the issue and perhaps a small dataset.

If you don't want to publicly share the data or steps, please file a Support ticket and quote FMEDESKTOP-13899.

Thanks for testing out the Betas!

Badge

We're avoiding specific dates at this point, but in general, it will be in the late April/May timeframe.

Hi Dale! How's it going with the release dates for FME 2023.0? Getting close?

Badge +3

I believe it has been released...Build 23288 is not listed as a beta. image

Badge

Sweet thanks! I should have looked first, i thought I would have seen an announcement. Congrats!

Badge +3

FME Cloud/Flow Hosted is still showing 2023 as a beta 😞 I was going to upgrade it to see if an issue I've been battling with Trimble Connect API token refresh has been resolved but I might have to wait a little longer or just install locally and test there. image

Badge +11

@dbaldacchino1​ @arcvancouver​ I'm sorry for any confusion regarding our downloads page. Currently, we have the 2023.0 version available as 'General Availability,' which means it's ready for testing. However, we are actively gathering feedback and making refinements before the official release.

We will make an announcement across our website, safe.com, as well as our social channels to keep you updated. Thank you for your understanding.

Badge

Yeah, I think the confusion lies here in the UI... there's no "FLAG" on this tab saying that 2023.0 is a BETA... looks like it's part of a normal release to me. And with all the announcements about the new Desktop/Form & Server/Flow ... well, I thought was out now...

FME Downloads page May 18 2023 

Anyway, not a huge deal. Glad to be playing with Form and Flow now, even if it's in beta.

Badge

And here's where i'm going for downloads

https://engage.safe.com/support/downloads/#ga

Badge +3

I am trying to run FME Flow 2023 (Server) on a Windows 11 desktop and am getting this. I verified all services are running, but it's saying "Flow is not ready yet". I even tried running all services except the databse service with a domain account (which is how we configure FME Server), but still nothing. Any ideas? Thanks.image

I was reading through the Changelog at https://downloads.safe.com/fme/2023/whatsnew_2023_0.txt when I noticed there was a new transformer called Classifier. After downloading and installing the update, all my dreams have come true. I can now classify my data in FME without having to calculate breakpoints elsewhere. And on Apple Silicon, it screams. Such a great addition for my workflow - thank you!classifier-screengrab

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I was reading through the Changelog at https://downloads.safe.com/fme/2023/whatsnew_2023_0.txt when I noticed there was a new transformer called Classifier. After downloading and installing the update, all my dreams have come true. I can now classify my data in FME without having to calculate breakpoints elsewhere. And on Apple Silicon, it screams. Such a great addition for my workflow - thank you!classifier-screengrab

That looks very interesting!

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Not Desktop but Flow:

Selecting an Automation in the Home screen's "Recent Automations" tile opens a new, empty, automation

And my colleague seems to have a lot of interface issues, especially on Chrome in Dark Mode. Pulldown-lists look wonky. Edge works fine for her and I don't see those issues in Chrome myself.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Excellent. We're hosting a community presentation of this new functionality next week. I haven't set up an event yet, but follow me on LinkedIn - or follow https://fme.ly/whatsupwednesday - and there will be a link shortly.

Badge +3

I'm struggling with the Scheduler.

1: The Cron expression fails with "JSON Parse Error: Unable to read message body" as a pop-up, either to "0 0 17 * * ?" or "0 0 17 * * ? *", but also for any Cron expression.

Cron 0 0 17 * * ? fail with JSON Parse Error: Unable to read message body 

2: Switching back to Repeat On Interval, the Start time is not updated.

The only way to overcome is to create a new schedule, but it works with Repeat On Interval only, there is no way to Cron schedule. It actually prevents to exclude weekends in scheduling, for example.

Versions affected:

FME Flow 2023.0.0.1 Build 23288 - win64

FME Flow 2023.0 Build 23283 - linux-arm64

Is it just me or can it be fixed?

Badge +11

I'm struggling with the Scheduler.

1: The Cron expression fails with "JSON Parse Error: Unable to read message body" as a pop-up, either to "0 0 17 * * ?" or "0 0 17 * * ? *", but also for any Cron expression.

Cron 0 0 17 * * ? fail with JSON Parse Error: Unable to read message body 

2: Switching back to Repeat On Interval, the Start time is not updated.

The only way to overcome is to create a new schedule, but it works with Repeat On Interval only, there is no way to Cron schedule. It actually prevents to exclude weekends in scheduling, for example.

Versions affected:

FME Flow 2023.0.0.1 Build 23288 - win64

FME Flow 2023.0 Build 23283 - linux-arm64

Is it just me or can it be fixed?

@revesz​ thank you for taking the time to report this!

We had a general issue with creating CRON expressions with FME Flow Schedules and that has been fixed in Build 23291 and newer. We don't have that available for download and testing yet, but we hope to make the official announcement for 2023.0 in due time!

If you find any other escaped bugs, please contact Safe Support.

Badge +1

Hello, When I install FME Server 2023.0.0.3 on GKE, I get this error on the home page.

FME Flow is not ready yet. Try again later.

What should I do? There's no obvious errors in the logs.

Badge +3

Hello, When I install FME Server 2023.0.0.3 on GKE, I get this error on the home page.

FME Flow is not ready yet. Try again later.

What should I do? There's no obvious errors in the logs.

I have a ticket open for the exact same issue - still ongoing (@steveatsafe ).

Badge +1

When I installed FME Server 2023.0.0.6 on GKE it said "FME Flow is not ready yet". There was not actions or ability to log in. So I downgraded to 2022.0.3 which seems to deploy fine. I will wait for further updates on this issue before upgrading.

Badge +3

Thanks....I'm having this issue with 2023.0.3​.