Solved

Ifc file does not look normally

• 6 December 2022
  • 7 replies

There is a problem that it is not displayed normally when converting IFC Schependomlaan.ifc among the Sample-Test-Files files in buildingSMART.

Is there any solution regarding this?

<abnormal>Cap 2022-12-06 15-27-58-785

<normal>

snapshot00Regards,

Bongsup Kim​

icon

Best answer by kailinatsafe 20 December 2022, 16:59

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @bskim​, sorry I'm a tad late to the game here! I don't think we support IFC styling in this specific way. For example, we support colours/styling for IFC, when the style is attached directly to an object (eg. this wall is red). In your file, the styling is assigned to a material, which is then linked to an object (eg. this wall is made of X, which is red). Apologies if this causes any inconvenience, please let me know if you have any further questions! Best, Kailin.

Hello Kailin. thanks for the answer.

I did not raise the problem of mesh material.

This is a problem with the mesh shape. (eg, the phenomenon that the roof is not well expressed)

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I did not raise the problem of mesh material.

This is a problem with the mesh shape. (eg, the phenomenon that the roof is not well expressed)

Hello @bskim​, thanks for the correction, apologies! I think this can be accomplished by disabling the 'Read all Geometric Representations' (eg. = No), and then leave the 'Representations to Read' as default:

I think we were reading a bounding box for each object, which is why it was looking funny! Let me know if this didn't resolve the issue or you have more questions! Happy to help, Kailin.

Changing the option solved the problem. Specifically, I'm curious about the role of the 'Read all Geometric Representations' option.

I don't understand it even with the explanation of 'http://docs.safe.com/fme/2019.0/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/ifc/IFC_reader.htm'.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Changing the option solved the problem. Specifically, I'm curious about the role of the 'Read all Geometric Representations' option.

I don't understand it even with the explanation of 'http://docs.safe.com/fme/2019.0/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/ifc/IFC_reader.htm'.

Hello @bskim​, thanks for the update! I'm glad this worked for you! I see you have a FME 2019.0 doc link there, I think the most up-to-date documentation can be found here (mind you the descriptions read about the same).

The reason the geometry looked different in FME is because we were reading the "Bounding Box" representation of each object. In this case, we want to ensure 'Box' is not included in the 'Representations to Read' parameter on the IFC Reader (eg. so FME ignores the bounding boxes for the geometry completely). Try toggling 'Box' on/off on the reader parameter, then re-reading to see the difference!

Geometric Representation more or less gives context/position/or orientation information about the geometry itself! I'll see if we can make any improvements to the parameter descriptions in the docs.

Would you mind if I asked what you're using FME to do? Are you using FME to migrate IFC models between applications or?

Hello @bskim​, sorry I'm a tad late to the game here! I don't think we support IFC styling in this specific way. For example, we support colours/styling for IFC, when the style is attached directly to an object (eg. this wall is red). In your file, the styling is assigned to a material, which is then linked to an object (eg. this wall is made of X, which is red). Apologies if this causes any inconvenience, please let me know if you have any further questions! Best, Kailin.

Hello Kailin. The shape of the mesh is output without any problems, but I am specifically curious about why the material is not displayed like a <normal> image, whether it is a problem with the IFC file above.

Best Regards, Bongsup Kim.

Also, the material file is not created intermittently.