Question

How to transform wide table with multi level nested columns and multi-rows into a longer format?

• 5 December 2022
  • 2 replies

I have attached an excel spreedsheet. I would like to merge and convert the table in sheet 1 ("Year_2035') and sheet 2 ('Year_2050') into a table structure like that one in 'RequiredFormat' sheet. I have never transformed such a complex data structure in FME before. Can anyone kindly help with good suggestions?

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Hello @smfks911​ 

It sounds like you want to transpose the Excel data. It looks like the inpu t Excel sheets are fixed forms. If they are fixed, you should be able to use a modified version of Example 2 workflow in the transpose article linked above where an AttributeExploder is used to explode only columns containing data (eg. columns C-F) in your sample dataset.

Once these data features have been exploded, you can add attribute values based on the original column name. For example, data from column C would contain the following attributes and values: DevelopmentType=All, Ownership Type=Private,Land Type=Open space.

I have attached a sample workspace demonstrating this workflow.

Hello @smfks911​ 

It sounds like you want to transpose the Excel data. It looks like the inpu t Excel sheets are fixed forms. If they are fixed, you should be able to use a modified version of Example 2 workflow in the transpose article linked above where an AttributeExploder is used to explode only columns containing data (eg. columns C-F) in your sample dataset.

Once these data features have been exploded, you can add attribute values based on the original column name. For example, data from column C would contain the following attributes and values: DevelopmentType=All, Ownership Type=Private,Land Type=Open space.

I have attached a sample workspace demonstrating this workflow.

Thank you @debbiatsafe​ for your reply and providing with a sample workspace. That is really useful to understand the workflow.