Question

ArcGIS portal feature service reader - type 4, Number: 1, Message: Failed to get auth...error

• 2 December 2022
  • 3 replies

I've followed this article https://community.safe.com/s/article/How-to-create-an-FME-Web-Connection-for-Esri-ArcGIS-Portal-Feature-Service-OAuth-2-0

Initially I was able to read features. I've come back into the workspace after a week and I'm getting this error

Type: 4, Number: 1, Message: Failed to get authorization query string.Updating access token for 'WebServiceSanDiego'

JSON Error: refresh_token expired

Unable to update access token for 'WebServiceSanDiego'

I've re-tested by webservice by going to preferences, manage service and test (requires you to login), but it's still not working. I would assume I'd only have to set this up once and it would refresh itself going forward, or is this something configuration wise on the portal end? Note, this is something setup for us to connect to by a customer.

Is there a more ideal suggestion for ongoing integration? Read/Write

3 replies

Badge +7

Hi @Candace Low​,

I'm assuming that since this was posted as an FME Desktop question, it's happening on FME Workbench?

Just want to confirm, because the article goes through steps for both FME Workbench and FME Server.

By default, ArcGIS Enterprise Portal refresh tokens expire after 14 days. The refresh token is used to obtain a new access token, which will usually expire after a couple of hours. But it's possible that the Portal you are connecting to has been configured for them to expire sooner.

Either way, if the workspace is not run for a period of time, a new refresh token isn't obtained and it expires. You can obtain a new one by going to Tools > FME Options > Web Connections and then right-clicking the connecting and choosing 'Reauthenticate...'. You can also avoid this by manually running a simple workspace (for example, a single reader) that just connects to the portal every few days. You can take it a step further by scheduling the workspace to run every few days using Windows Task Scheduler. If you're on Linux, I believe you can use CRON to do this.

Badge +1

Hi @Candace Low​,

I'm assuming that since this was posted as an FME Desktop question, it's happening on FME Workbench?

Just want to confirm, because the article goes through steps for both FME Workbench and FME Server.

By default, ArcGIS Enterprise Portal refresh tokens expire after 14 days. The refresh token is used to obtain a new access token, which will usually expire after a couple of hours. But it's possible that the Portal you are connecting to has been configured for them to expire sooner.

Either way, if the workspace is not run for a period of time, a new refresh token isn't obtained and it expires. You can obtain a new one by going to Tools > FME Options > Web Connections and then right-clicking the connecting and choosing 'Reauthenticate...'. You can also avoid this by manually running a simple workspace (for example, a single reader) that just connects to the portal every few days. You can take it a step further by scheduling the workspace to run every few days using Windows Task Scheduler. If you're on Linux, I believe you can use CRON to do this.

I am having the exact same issue. Yes, this is in Workbench. Any help would be very much appreciated.

I'm seeing this behavior as well on several of my AGOL portals I connect to (not all of them). I can go into Web Connections > Manage Services and Test each one of my connections and they authenticate fine (on Form and Flow). However, simply trying to add a simple reader to my desktop results in the Type 4, Number 1 Error, Failed to get auth query string. Not sure what is going on...

Chad