Question

Unable to unprotect excel sheet by password assigned on feature writer.

• 2 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Specifying password on excel feature writer, for instance 'XXX_X', not possible to unprotect the sheet with same password.

Excel edited is already protected with the same password. If protect sheet specs are not informed, excel becomes unprotected. Seems weird behavior...

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @coldon​, thanks for posting to the FME Community! May I ask what version of FME you're using? I am currently using FME Desktop 2022.2 Build 22765.

When using the FeatureWriter the write a protected excel sheet, you are not able to unprotect the sheet (in Excel), even with the correct password? Please let me know if I am interpreting this correctly. I am unable to unprotect sheets written by the FeatureWriter:

Would you mind using the standalone Excel Writer to temporarily workaround this? I ran a few tests and it looks like this issue is isolated to the FeatureWriter (eg. I was able to unprotect sheets written by the Excel Writer).

I'm not sure I fully understand the second half of your question, so please feel free to reiterate if needed! Happy to help, Kailin.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @coldon​, thanks for posting to the FME Community! May I ask what version of FME you're using? I am currently using FME Desktop 2022.2 Build 22765.

When using the FeatureWriter the write a protected excel sheet, you are not able to unprotect the sheet (in Excel), even with the correct password? Please let me know if I am interpreting this correctly. I am unable to unprotect sheets written by the FeatureWriter:

Would you mind using the standalone Excel Writer to temporarily workaround this? I ran a few tests and it looks like this issue is isolated to the FeatureWriter (eg. I was able to unprotect sheets written by the Excel Writer).

I'm not sure I fully understand the second half of your question, so please feel free to reiterate if needed! Happy to help, Kailin.

@coldon​, mini update! I've filed the FeatureWriter issue with our development team (FMEENGINE-75715)! I've added a note to have this thread updated when a fix is available.

I have been working on trying to solve this problem with no success. In my opinion what I have to understand is a primary problem. An excel with several sheets, for instance, 2 without protection and 8 with it. I make an insert to the unprotected sheets without aplying any kind of protect spectification. Apparently all sheets become unprotected.

By the way, I am using FME Desktop 2021.2.0.1