Question

HTTPCaller Slow when POSTing

• 1 December 2022
  • 2 replies

I've just created a workspace that connects to a REST API. When GETing data, the HTTPCaller calls work immediately, but when POSTing it looks like FME Server waits for 2 minutes before checking what the API responded with? The initial timeout for the call was only 90 seconds so it timed out when I first ran it, so I had to bump up the timeout to see that it was actually getting a response.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing in FME Server that would cause HTTPCaller POST calls to run really slowly?

Relevant logs:

2022-12-1 16:29:21 | HTTPCaller_-_Create_Request (HTTPFactory): [974]: Starting HTTP upload to 'xxxxx'. Expected transfer size: 2084 bytes

2022-12-1 16:29:21 | HTTPCaller_-_Create_Request (HTTPFactory): [974]: HTTP Upload: sent 2084 bytes

2022-12-1 16:31:21 | HTTPCaller_-_Create_Request (HTTPFactory): [974]: Starting HTTP download from 'xxxxx'

2022-12-1 16:31:21 | HTTPCaller_-_Create_Request (HTTPFactory): [974]: HTTP transfer summary (xxxxx): status code: 201, download size: 1590 bytes, DNS lookup time: 8 ms, total transfer time: 120068 ms

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @swalters​ does the workspace take as long to perform the POST call in FME Desktop as it does in FME Server? This would tell us if the problem is isolated to FME Server, or is affecting both FME Desktop & Server.

Additionally, would you be able to share what version & build of FME Server and Desktop you are using?

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

I'd lean towards this not being an FME issue. My basic understanding of how POST calls work is that the client (FME) opens a connection with the server and sends it request, the connection remains open until the server responds, and once the response is recieved, the connection is closed.

You saw that the cleint timed out after 90s, so this is the client saying to the server "you haven't given me anything, i'm giving up".

Basically, it seems the server is very slow to respond. It would be worth confirming this in something like Postman