Solved

Add Aliases to File Geodatabase

• 29 November 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

My Reader is Excel. My Writer is ESRI File Geodatabase. I use AttributeManager to rename the fields. How do I add field name aliases to the Writer in this situation?

icon

Best answer by dustin 29 November 2022, 19:49

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

Working with Geodatabase Field Aliases: Altering Alias Values (safe.com) This article will walk you through the methodology.

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

Thank you. I read this article, and it is relevant only if you are reading from a geodatabase. I am reading from an Excel file and writing to a geodatabase. Do you think I need to create a 2nd workspace that I run after I write the feature classes? this 2nd workspace would assign aliases to the feature classes using a geodatabase in the reader. I think this would work, but wondering if there is way to incorporate this workflow into a single workbench?

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

And what do you think of the answer to this Question: How do I create an alias on an attribute in my FME workspace?

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

Thank you. I read this article, and it is relevant only if you are reading from a geodatabase. I am reading from an Excel file and writing to a geodatabase. Do you think I need to create a 2nd workspace that I run after I write the feature classes? this 2nd workspace would assign aliases to the feature classes using a geodatabase in the reader. I think this would work, but wondering if there is way to incorporate this workflow into a single workbench?

Check out the Advanced section of the article. It explains how to create aliases from scratch on features writing to geodatabase. In this manner, the input format won't affect your ability to write them.

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

@egge​ and @dustin​ thank you. I read the information. I tried adding the FacilityName_alias (value = FACILITYNAME) to a new field in AttributeManager (not the Writer) and it ends up adding a new field in the feature class named "FacilityName_alias". In ArcMap I checked the field properties for FACILITYNAME, and it still shows the Field Alias as "FACILITYNAME". I would like FACILITYNAME to have the alias "FacilityName".

Alias1I think I am missing something, what could it be? thanks.

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

@egge​ and @dustin​ thank you. I read the information. I tried adding the FacilityName_alias (value = FACILITYNAME) to a new field in AttributeManager (not the Writer) and it ends up adding a new field in the feature class named "FacilityName_alias". In ArcMap I checked the field properties for FACILITYNAME, and it still shows the Field Alias as "FACILITYNAME". I would like FACILITYNAME to have the alias "FacilityName".

Alias1I think I am missing something, what could it be? thanks.

First, I would imagine it is case sensitive, so it needs to be FACULTYNAME_alias. The Attribute Value of FACULTYNAME_alias needs to be whatever you want the alias to be. As it is now, you are pulling the attribute value from FACULTYNAME, which I don't think is what you want.

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

@dustin​ Apologies I must be obtuse today. You pointed me in the right direction, and I finally was able to figure it out. It works. Here is a screenshot of how to insert aliases for anyone else who may need assistance with this.

Alias2

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

@dustin​ Apologies I must be obtuse today. You pointed me in the right direction, and I finally was able to figure it out. It works. Here is a screenshot of how to insert aliases for anyone else who may need assistance with this.

Alias2

No worries, glad you got it working!