Question

How to read a JSON file from waze

• 23 November 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +10

I have a JSON file from waze that I am trying to read.

I am using the JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) reader.

There are three schema; alerts, irregularities and jams

I can read alerts okay with this query

json["alerts"][*]

Flatten Nested JSON values into Attributes = Yes

Read Entire Feature as JSON Fragment = No

which reads 433 alerts, each with a location.x and location.y which allows me to built a point object (Vertex) for each feature.

But I am struggling with the irregularities and jams.

The irregularities have a line object which obviously does not convert into two neat columns.

How do I read the line object?

I have attached the json file here

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @nicholas​ 

There are a few options to create geometry from the line array. One option is to create a valid geometry encoding (eg. GeoJSON, WKT, etc) from the line array and use a GeometryReplacer to recreate the geometry. In the example, I used a JSONTemplater to create GeoJSON as it allows for easy recursion through each element of the line array. However, it does depend on understanding XQuery/JSONiq.

Another option is to use a ListExploder on the line list attribute, then a VertexCreator to create points from the x and y attributes before using a LineBuilder to create lines from the vertices (group by 'id' or 'uuid' depending on the feature type). Note that if you are working with a large file, exploding the vertices may lead to decreased performance due to the increased number of features.