Solved

Return FME Server login username to workspace

• 23 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

I have workspace that currently has one choice dropdown input parameter that lists regional utility companies. The parameter dictates where the input data is read from and where the output data is written. On FME Server, I have setup separate Users for each region.

The client has requested that I limit access of each regional User to it's own region. So, say we have Region1 and Region2. Region1 shouldn't be able to run the workspace by selecting Region2, and vice versa.

My thought is, if the FME Server User accessing the workspace is available at run time, I could essentially do away with the drop down, and let that dictate which data is processed. Is this possible? If not, what would be my best course of action to accomplish that separation. My second thought was create separate repositories for each region, but then I would need to make copies of the workspace only allowing a single choice in the dropdown. This doesn't seem very efficient, and would pose an issue when updates need to be made to the workspace.

icon

Best answer by hollyatsafe 23 November 2022, 19:44

View original

4 replies

Badge +2

Hi @dustin​ ,

What version of FME are you using? In FME 2022.0 we introduced the FME Server parameter FME_SERVER_RUNTIME_USER. This holds the username for whoever submitted the job and could be used in the workspace to determine what data is processed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

Hi @dustin​ ,

What version of FME are you using? In FME 2022.0 we introduced the FME Server parameter FME_SERVER_RUNTIME_USER. This holds the username for whoever submitted the job and could be used in the workspace to determine what data is processed.

@hollyatsafe​ We are using 2022.1.1. I assume that could be called in the workspace as $(FME_SERVER_RUNTIME_USER)?

Badge +2

@hollyatsafe​ We are using 2022.1.1. I assume that could be called in the workspace as $(FME_SERVER_RUNTIME_USER)?

Hi @dustin​ ,

Perfect, yes that's the one!

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

Thanks! Works like a charm.