Question

Creating a Sign In and Sign Out Form

• 22 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +7

Hi All,

I have been asked to create a digital sign in/out form for when contractors visit our workplace to carry out contracted works.

Currently when a contractor arrives we ask them to fill in a paper based book, just capturing name, phone number, time in and internal contact person. Then when the job is complete (or at the end of each day) they must sign out with a simple signature and time out. This allows us to keep track of who might still be in the building before we lock up at the end of each day.

I can create a simple workspace that caters for capturing this information, but I am more asking for advice around best practice for setting it up in workspace and then in the FME Server.

For example, should I create one form, with a question for 'Sign in/out', or should I create two forms, for the two tasks?

I might be over complicating it, but basically this is the request I have received:

proposed workflow 

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I'd use just one workspace, but I might create two apps/forms which call the same workspace (just to control user input a bit more). How will the workspace(s) be triggered? Are you developing a separate application/web page or will you use FME Server Apps. With the FME Server Apps you can specify which Parameters to show. (for example sign out App only needs mobile and name, and sign-in can have more fields). You can set the sign-in/sign-out choice as the default for each app and then hide them.

Having one workspace will reduce the required maintenance as you only have one workspace to work manage.

Sounds like a fun project heh

Badge +7

I'd use just one workspace, but I might create two apps/forms which call the same workspace (just to control user input a bit more). How will the workspace(s) be triggered? Are you developing a separate application/web page or will you use FME Server Apps. With the FME Server Apps you can specify which Parameters to show. (for example sign out App only needs mobile and name, and sign-in can have more fields). You can set the sign-in/sign-out choice as the default for each app and then hide them.

Having one workspace will reduce the required maintenance as you only have one workspace to work manage.

Sounds like a fun project heh

G'day @virtualcitymatt​ , thanks for the reply!

I am thinking I will create a QR code and have that in place of the current paper based sign in book, which will take the use to something hosted via FME Server. This way I have 100% control over the entire process, as our website is managed via another team.

I will have a play around with the single workspace scenario. I should be able to use a IF statement to direct the stream to either an ADD row or an UPDATE row in my table.

Then I am thinking each day at 4.30pm I have a schedule on the server that checks for any users currently within the building and performs notifications accordingly.

Cheers