Question

How to update multiple AGOL feature layers using change detector?

• 22 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Hey all,

I am trying to set up a workspace to update, insert, and delete a heap of our ArcGIS Online feature layers once a week or so.

I have been able to set it up once using the AGOL feature reader into the change detector in a similar way to How do I write updates to an existing ArcGIS Online feature service? (safe.com).

I am unable to add dynamic layers using the AGOL feature reader, thus limiting my ability to update multiple features using it. 

My question revolves more around how to cycle through multiple layers and add to the change detector.

I have tried setting up a CSV with the required information and then using a standard feature reader, but that does not bring the attributes that are used to compare in the change detector.

Has anyone done a similar project or have an idea on how to Have it work?

Cheers

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi @joshb​ are you trying to perform Change Detection on the layer inside a Feature Service, or on a Feature Service/Feature Layer itself. If you're looking to perform the process on a Feature Service/Feature Layer, then I suggest using the FeatureWriter instead of the regular ArcGIS Online Writer.

In the FeatureWriter you'll have the option to use an attribute to define the Feature Service/Feature Layer you want to write to, allowing for a fully dynamic workflow process.

Hope this helps!

Hi @joshb​ are you trying to perform Change Detection on the layer inside a Feature Service, or on a Feature Service/Feature Layer itself. If you're looking to perform the process on a Feature Service/Feature Layer, then I suggest using the FeatureWriter instead of the regular ArcGIS Online Writer.

In the FeatureWriter you'll have the option to use an attribute to define the Feature Service/Feature Layer you want to write to, allowing for a fully dynamic workflow process.

Hope this helps!

Hey @danminneyatsaf​,

We are trying to update the feature layer itself. I have tried with using the feature writer but have not had any success. Do you have a link to an example using an ArcGIS online layer??

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hey @danminneyatsaf​,

We are trying to update the feature layer itself. I have tried with using the feature writer but have not had any success. Do you have a link to an example using an ArcGIS online layer??

@joshb​ what issue are you running into with the workspace? Is it just not updating your feature layer in ArcGIS Online?

Unfortunately I don't have an example using an ArcGIS Online Feature Layer, but I can take a look your workspace if you'd like to double-check the parameters.

Hey @danminneyatsaf​,

My issue is now with the feature writer not correctly getting the layers from the CSV i am using. I get an error saying: ArcGIS Online Feature Service Writer: Could not find a layer/table matching feature type.

Cheers