Solved

How do I direct FME to use the active, cloned Python environment in ArcGIS Pro instead of the default (and unmodifiable) environment?

• 17 November 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Assuming I successfully get FME to use an ArcGIS Pro license instead of a Desktop license -- a current problem -- I would like to know how to direct FME to use my cloned and currently active Python environment instead of the default (and unmodifiable) one that got installed with Pro. I have added several modules and site packages to the clone that I would like to use in FME. I read in another post (lost track of it) that FME might only be able to use the original Python environment installed with Pro. It was suggested that maybe adding the paths to the site-packages and bin directories in the clone to my system path environment variable would allow use of the clone. I have done that ... but alas, I still haven't gotten FME to use a Pro license.

This brings up another question, though. On a colleagues machine where FME is using a Pro license, the workspace translation log only reports the version of Pro that is being used: there is no indication of which Python environment is being used. How do I determine which Python environment is being used?

icon

Best answer by debbiatsafe 18 November 2022, 01:25

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Hello @tcrossman​ 

Follow the steps outlined for setting a custom Python Interpreter in FME Desktop from this article. For example, the select the python3x.dll in the root directory of the cloned environment and set Python home as the root of the cloned environment in the FME Options > Translation dialog.

Once this has been set, ensure the Python Compatibility parameter of the workspace to an FME Python 3.x option that is compatible with the cloned Python environment (eg. FME Python 3.7 with ArcGIS Pro 2.8). You should not set this parameter to an Esri ArcGIS Python 3.x option as FME will load ArcGIS' default Conda environment and ignore the custom interpreter settings from FME Options.

The Python environment usually should be logged. It usually looks something like this:

Using Python interpreter from `C:\Program Files\FME\fmepython310\python310.dll' with PYTHONHOME `C:\Program Files\fmepython310'
Python version 3.10 loaded successfully

Note: If both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro installed on the machine, use the workspace parameter named Esri ArcGIS Compatibility (Navigator pane > Workspace Parameters > Translations) to tell FME to use an ArcGIS Pro license. This parameter is available in FME 2021 and newer. I woud also recommend checking the version of FME is compatible with the version of ArcGIS Pro installed.