Solved

How to get FME to recognize and use my ArcGIS Pro license instead of Desktop?

• 16 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I am getting the following error (out of the blue, I might add. One run, everything humming along fine until "bam", next run, license/Python compatibility error):

ERROR : FME initialized 'ArcGISDesktop', but the workspace Python compatibility setting is 'Esri ArcGIS Python 3.7+'. Please check the Python compatibility setting in the workspace

I have both ArcGIS Desktop (10.8.1) and ArcGIS Pro (2.9.1) installed, and I am using 64-bit FME Desktop Professional 2022.2. My dropdown list for the Python Compatibility parameter, however, does not include separate listings for ArcGIS Desktop vs. ArcGIS Pro, only for "Esri ArcGIS Python maj.min" . (1) Does "Esri ArcGIS" mean ArcGIS Desktop?; and (2) if so, what do I need to do to get ArcGIS Pro choices listed in the dropdown and to get FME to recognize and use my ArcGIS Pro license instead of my Desktop license?

icon

Best answer by david_r 17 November 2022, 09:05

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4

Check if the answer here applies to you: https://community.safe.com/s/question/0D54Q00008fMi4BSAS/how-to-select-which-version-of-arcgis-fme-uses-to-read-from-esri-geodatabases

Badge +1

Thank you, David, for indicating that existing answer. I did not find that in my initial search; however, although close to an answer for me, it doesn't quite apply to my specific situation. [I should add that I do have 64-Bit Background Geoprocessing installed.] I have my Esri ArcGIS Compatibility parameter set to "Esri ArcGIS Pro." The Python compatibility dropdown, however, does not distinguish between ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro. I have only choices in the format "Python x.y+" and "Esri ArcGIS Python x.y+". The words "Desktop" and "Pro" do not appear in the choices in the dropdown. In other forum answers to similar questions, there are screenshots that show separate "Desktop" and "Pro" choices in the Python Compatibility dropdown. Why don't I have those, and how do I get them?

The Python installation I want to use is the Python 3.7 that comes with ArcGIS Pro. More precisely, I want to be using the Conda clone of the original Python that came with Pro. That cloned environment is the one that is active in Pro. My "path" system variable does contain the paths to both the site-packages and bin directories in that cloned environment.

Userlevel 4

Thank you, David, for indicating that existing answer. I did not find that in my initial search; however, although close to an answer for me, it doesn't quite apply to my specific situation. [I should add that I do have 64-Bit Background Geoprocessing installed.] I have my Esri ArcGIS Compatibility parameter set to "Esri ArcGIS Pro." The Python compatibility dropdown, however, does not distinguish between ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro. I have only choices in the format "Python x.y+" and "Esri ArcGIS Python x.y+". The words "Desktop" and "Pro" do not appear in the choices in the dropdown. In other forum answers to similar questions, there are screenshots that show separate "Desktop" and "Pro" choices in the Python Compatibility dropdown. Why don't I have those, and how do I get them?

The Python installation I want to use is the Python 3.7 that comes with ArcGIS Pro. More precisely, I want to be using the Conda clone of the original Python that came with Pro. That cloned environment is the one that is active in Pro. My "path" system variable does contain the paths to both the site-packages and bin directories in that cloned environment.

The Python compatibility list does not contain specific entries for Desktop or Pro, this is set through the ArcGIS compatibility parameter.

If it still doesn't work, you may want to consider escalating the case to your FME reseller so that they can look at your specific setup.

Badge +1

I see what you are talking about. My settings/are as you say, but it still isn't working. I will continue to work on it. Thanks so much, David.