Question

Merged all layers of CityGML Model into one single 3D model

• 15 November 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hello Sir / Madam,

So I have a CityGML (.gml) 3D model, it has three layers - Bridge, BridgeConstructionElement and BridgeInstallation. I am just wondering is there any way that I can merge all layers into one single 3D model?

As I will have thousands of models that might be divided into different layers, I need to find a way to group all the layers for each model. Then, I can analysis the data later.

I tried "Deaggregator" and "MeshMerger" but it seems like it is not working.

I would really appreciate if anyone can give me a hand.

I have attached a sample data below.

Thank you very much.

7 replies

Badge +11

Hi @zacharylee1204​ maybe this way will suit you.

Badge

Hi @zacharylee1204​ maybe this way will suit you.

Hi @muzhnasto​, thanks for your prompt response. I am really appreciated your help! I will try it soon. However, may I ask what the purpose to use Triangulator and MeshMerger?

Triangulator: Does it use to break the model into mesh model?

MeshMerger: Does it use to merge the mesh model?

Also, I am just wondering would triangulator change the "shape" of the model once it is merged? Or it should be able to keep the original shape? It is because I really need to keep the original model shape for future analysis.

Thank you very much.

Badge +11

Hi @muzhnasto​, thanks for your prompt response. I am really appreciated your help! I will try it soon. However, may I ask what the purpose to use Triangulator and MeshMerger?

Triangulator: Does it use to break the model into mesh model?

MeshMerger: Does it use to merge the mesh model?

Also, I am just wondering would triangulator change the "shape" of the model once it is merged? Or it should be able to keep the original shape? It is because I really need to keep the original model shape for future analysis.

Thank you very much.

Hi @zacharylee1204​ for the most correct operation of meshmerge, it is desirable to triangulate all objects

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

What will​ the output format be? It will depend on the best way the structure the geometry. The Triangulater > MeshMerger is the most efficient way to store the geometry. It won't change the "shape" of the geometry, however, it will make it difficult to go back to Solids if that's how your bridge parts are modeled.

Badge

What will​ the output format be? It will depend on the best way the structure the geometry. The Triangulater > MeshMerger is the most efficient way to store the geometry. It won't change the "shape" of the geometry, however, it will make it difficult to go back to Solids if that's how your bridge parts are modeled.

I would like to output it as an OBJ format, if possible. And I don't need to convert it back to CityGML in the future. Do you think it is still ok to work with Triangulater > MeshMerger?

Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I would like to output it as an OBJ format, if possible. And I don't need to convert it back to CityGML in the future. Do you think it is still ok to work with Triangulater > MeshMerger?

Thank you!

100% that is most likely the best approach. OBJ is mostly only mesh geometries anyway.

Badge

Thank you!

Got it, thank you very much! :)