Question

recalculate fgdb feature class feature extents

Badge +9

I am using a template (schema only) to create many feature classes. the template already has a feature extent created that is larger that desired.

if i don't use a template fme calculates the feature extent correctly for all included features in a feature class.

Is there a way to override and include this information in the fgdb writer parameters?

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

I think this is doable using arcpy and a PythonCaller.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Here we go - https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/data-management-toolbox/recalculate-feature-class-extent.htm

Badge +9

Thanks for the responses. I'm not too hot with python. and i'm setting this up for server to be on an automation with customer delivery. so was hoping there was a method right in the writer.

Badge +9

since 2.7 is not supported any longer. i do not understand how i can get arcpy operating on my fme machine. i have tried but get errors with whatever i try.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

since 2.7 is not supported any longer. i do not understand how i can get arcpy operating on my fme machine. i have tried but get errors with whatever i try.

You'll have to have a licensed version of ArcGIS Pro for the newer versions of FME - https://community.safe.com/s/article/arcgis-pro-and-fme-qa

https://community.safe.com/s/article/notes-on-fme-and-esri-versions-and-compatibility

Badge +9

we use named user licenses for pro. so if i install it. i would not be able to use it with fme server. or how does that work?

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

See the article Using FME Server with Esri ArcGIS Software:

To read and write from Esri Geodatabase formats, like ArcSDE and File Geodatabase, FME Server requires that ArcGIS Enterprise or ArcGIS Server software be installed and licensed on the same machine (with an exception for the File Geodatabase Open API Reader/Writer).

“Can I use ArcGIS Pro with FME Server?”

It is technically possible for FME Server to use ArcGIS Pro. However, the use of ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro in a server context violates Esri's license terms. Please see Esri’s article on this topic for more information or contact your Esri account manager for more clarification of Esri’s licensing terms.

Badge +9

how then would anyone use fme server to read or write ANY esri data!

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

Use the open api reader and writer. Or install fme server on the same machine as arcgis server.

Badge +9

What does that do to the license? how does ANY FME user write to sde without violating the license?

Userlevel 1
Badge +14

The article linked by Niels is spot on. In order for FME Server to process a workspace that connects to the ArcSDE Geodb, File Geodb or Personal Geodb formats it must have access to an ArcGIS Enterprise license that is installed on the same machine.

Alternatively, if this license is not available you can design your workspaces to connect with Esri Applications using methods that do not require these third party libraries. These options are noted in the article. You may also continue to use FME Desktop with Esri formats.

If you require clarification on the legality of using your ArcGIS license in the context of a server environment we would recommend you contact your Esri account manager.