Solved

ESRI GDB Mosaic Dataset add raster error?

• 14 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Using Workbench 2022.2 and try to insert a TIF into an existing mosaic dataset and FME is returning the error:

Unable to retrieve path to raster dataset from feature

Yet, I can see the fully qualified path to the TIF in the incoming fme_dataset attribute from the geotiff reader?

icon

Best answer by natalieatsafe 17 November 2022, 20:12

View original

3 replies

Badge +4

@rowdy Hi there, thanks for your question! I think it would be very helpful if we could please see screenshots of the error(s) that you're seeing, translation logs, and your workspace.

Are you able to read the mosaic dataset into the workspace correctly? Are you able to read the TIF into the workspace using the TIFF reader, rather than the GeoTIFF reader? How about using a FeatureReader, can you bring the TIF in that way? Has this workspace / process worked for you in past versions of FME Workbench (and if so, what was the latest version it worked in)?

Something you could also try, just to confirm that FME is picking up the path, is to use a Directory and File Pathnames reader, and point it to the folder where your TIF is stored. Running that reader and then viewing the results in Visual Preview with Table View toggled on should show your TIF as a row in the table.

Badge +1

@rowdy Hi there, thanks for your question! I think it would be very helpful if we could please see screenshots of the error(s) that you're seeing, translation logs, and your workspace.

Are you able to read the mosaic dataset into the workspace correctly? Are you able to read the TIF into the workspace using the TIFF reader, rather than the GeoTIFF reader? How about using a FeatureReader, can you bring the TIF in that way? Has this workspace / process worked for you in past versions of FME Workbench (and if so, what was the latest version it worked in)?

Something you could also try, just to confirm that FME is picking up the path, is to use a Directory and File Pathnames reader, and point it to the folder where your TIF is stored. Running that reader and then viewing the results in Visual Preview with Table View toggled on should show your TIF as a row in the table.

Thanks Natalie,

Please find log and workspace attached. The 2 error lines are:

Unable to retrieve path to raster dataset from feature

GEODATABASE_FILE_MOSAIC_DATASET writer: An error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Yes I can read the mosaic dataset correctly via a GEODATABASE_FILE_RASTER_DATASET reader. I can also

read the tif using both the TIFF and GEOTIFF reader no problems.

Changing to a TIFF or GEOTIFF featurereader reproduces the same 2 error lines.

I haven't tried this before in any previous FME version.

The directory and file pathnames reader is picking up the tif path without a problem.

Badge +4

@rowdy Thanks for the details, it's very helpful! I've had a look through the workspace you provided, and it looks like the mosaic dataset that you're writing to (Pulpwood) is looking for a specific attribute on the GeoTIFF that you're trying to add. This attribute, geodb_raster_path, is required on any rasters that you're trying to add to a mosaic dataset, as described in this documentation (have a look at the description of the geodb_raster_path attribute). It needs to contain the path to the new raster's storage location.

You can do this by first exposing the fme_dataset format attribute on the new GeoTIFF (just double-click on the GeoTIFF reader feature type, then select the Format Attributes tab, and then check off the fme_dataset attribute). This attribute contains the full path to the GeoTIFF.

Next, add an AttributeCreator after the reader feature type. Create an attribute called geodb_raster_path, and assign the fme_dataset attribute as its value.

Now try running the workspace again. This should resolve the file path issue, but if you continue to see the error, please reach out again!