Question

How can I connect MapInfo Pro 2021.1 with ArcSDE 10.8.2? It's the Universal Translator that isn't working.

• 8 November 2022
  • 9 replies

How can I connect MapInfo Pro 2021.1 with ArcSDE 10.8.2? It's the Universal Translator that isn't working.

9 replies

Badge +4

@cdrg​ Hi there, thanks for your question. Are you referring to FME Quick Translator? If so, what version of Quick Translator are you using?

@natalieatsafe​ In MapInfo it is referred to as MapInfo Universal Translator and the latest version is

FME(R) 2021.1.0.0 (20210630 - Build 21607 - WIN64).

Let me know if you need anything else?

Badge +4

@cdrg​ Thanks for clarifying! Since the Universal Translator is a component of MapInfo Pro made available by Precisely, it would be best to pose questions about the Universal Translator to Precisely directly, or to Precisely's Online Forums (which are a similar concept to Safe's FME Community Technical Forums). Here's the link to Precisely's Customer Community, which seems to serve as their landing page for all things Customer Support. You'll find how-to articles, customer question-and-answer forums, and a link to generate a support case if needed. I hope this helps!

No this doesn't help.

The question is "How can I connect MapInfo Pro 2021.1 with ArcSDE 10.8.2? It's the Universal Translator that isn't working."

Universal Translator is your product not Precisely's.

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

No this doesn't help.

The question is "How can I connect MapInfo Pro 2021.1 with ArcSDE 10.8.2? It's the Universal Translator that isn't working."

Universal Translator is your product not Precisely's.

Hi @cdrg​ although I do not know what error you are receiving, I can try to give some more information. Mapinfo Pro is a 64-bit application. In order to utilize the Geodatabase SDE format in the Universal translator, you would need to install and license ArcMap with 64-bit background geoprocessing or ArcGIS Pro.

However, since you are accessing this application through MapInfo Pro your first point of contact is with Precisely for further support. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi @cdrg​ although I do not know what error you are receiving, I can try to give some more information. Mapinfo Pro is a 64-bit application. In order to utilize the Geodatabase SDE format in the Universal translator, you would need to install and license ArcMap with 64-bit background geoprocessing or ArcGIS Pro.

However, since you are accessing this application through MapInfo Pro your first point of contact is with Precisely for further support. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi @Evie Lapalme​ There is no error message.

The question is: Can the Universal Translator connect to ArcSDE 10.8.2?

The customer has

Installation Information

Product Name: ArcGIS Engine 10.8.2

Release Version: 10.8.2

Product Version: 10.9.1.28388

Badge +4

@cdrgWithout some kind of FME-based error message, it's difficult to pinpoint the source of the problem. Normally, when there's connection issue between the software and the geodatabase, we would see some kind of error or warning message. I'm going to reach out to a couple colleagues on this. ​ 

But yes, from what I'm reading, you should be able to connect to your ArcSDE 10.x geodatabase with the Universal Translator. I'm reading through the Precisely MapInfo Pro v2021 User Guide, and if you have a look at page 356, there's a section called "Setting the ArcSDE Data Options". It describes a few Esri-related libraries that MapInfo Pro must have access to in order to work with SDE formats, and a few other points to note about working with SDE in MapInfo Pro. I would suggest having a read through that section of the user guide and ensuring that your local system configuration matches what's described therein.

Could you please provide a screenshot of what you are seeing when you try to connect to your SDE geodatabase in MapInfo Pro? Are any of the Esri formats greyed out when you try to pick a format in the Universal Translator?

You mentioned ArcGIS Engine; is it installed on the same machine as your MapInfo Pro? Are you able to access your SDE geodatabase in ArcGIS software (ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro), with expected results?

Badge +4

@cdrg​  I'll also add a little more to this, as it looks like ArcEngine is 32-bit only. MapInfo Pro is a 64-bit application. I know for our 64-bit platform, customers who are making use of 32-bit versions of ArcGIS Desktop are required to install the ArcGIS 64-bit Background Geoprocessing utility to get things working together. You may want to consider installing Background Geoprocessing, to see if it helps with this issue. Not a for sure fix, but worth a shot. Just make sure you match up the version of Background Geoprocessing with your ArcEngine version. Again, I'm basing this on our documentation for 32-bit ArcGIS Desktop and FME 64-bit.

@natalieatsafe​  The client has found a workaround that doesn't involve FME. Thanks for the help.