Question

AWS DynamoDB reader certificate error, but S3 and SQS working with certificate

• 7 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I have a service account that I use for connecting to our company's AWS, this works successfully for S3 and SQS and DynamoDB on a windows server. However using the same workspace, same AWS account on my laptop I get the certificate error:

PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

- I've upgraded to 2021.2.6 as suggested in other posts.

- I've confirmed it is not a certificate issue on my laptop because SQS and S3 are working (this didn't work before I installed the certificates).

- I've confirmed it is not an issue with my AWS account permissions because I can run the workspace on the windows servers.

Any ideas what the issue could be? How does the DynamoDB reader work, is it looking somewhere different for the certificates? What is the HTTP request it makes behind the scenes so I can test with other applications?

Thank-you!

Kathy

2 replies

Badge +11

Hi @kathyjbryce​ 

Do you recall importing certs into FME/2021.2/jre/lib/security/cacerts file on the Windows Server? Because the DynamoDB format is JDBC based... java comes in... So I suspect you've imported the certificates into the Windows cacerts which would help HTTP... but not Java.

Give that a go and let us know.

KeyExplorer is a great tool to review these files (if you don't have another GUI at hand).

Badge +2

@steveatsafe​ Thanks!

I did import the certs using mmc, so you are saying java won't see them. Do the certs have to be imported into the fme cacerts file for each FME desktop install on my machine? Can the certs be installed somewhere outside of the FME installation directory for Java? I install FME into new directories each time and it would be preferable if I don't need to import certs each time.