Question

SAML Method of Authentication has gone from the SharePoint List Reader/Writer, in newer version of FME Desktop.

• 31 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

In FME Desktop 2019.2 b19825, the Microsoft SharePoint List Reader/Writer offers SAML as an authentication method for reading from our corporate SharePoint sites.

image.png 

This method is now absent in 2021.2 b21784 and none of the other authentication methods seem to be working for me. Why was this option removed and is there a workaround to getting FME Desktop to connect to SharePoint sites using normal SPOL credentials.

4 replies

Badge

​ @zacharyp​ Hi, and thanks for your question. Yes, the SAML drop-down option has gone from the SharePoint List Reader / Writer, but is still supported via OAuth 2.0. If you have a look at this thread, debbiatsafe describes how you can set up a web connection using our Microsoft Sharepoint Online template. Once your web connection is set up, you can make use of the "Web Connection" option for the Authentication Method in the SharePoint List Reader / Writer.

We have several other resources in the FME Community to assist with SharePoint web connections. Here are a couple that may be useful for you:

How to create a Sharepoint Web Connection

Troubleshooting SharePoint Web Connections and Services

I hope this helps you out! Please reach out again if you would like further assistance or clarification.

Badge

Thanks Natalie - yes I've seen the guidance to go down the Web Connection route. Creating an App Registration will be possible for us I think, but adds a lot of overhead around connecting. I first need to assure the SPOL team in my organisation that the permission listed on that guide are not too broad which they currently think they are unfortunately.

Badge

@natalieatsafe​ - do you know why the connection method was changed, as the old one is much simpler and quicker. I have resorted to continuing to use FME 2019.2 instead of using the newer version of FME.

Badge

@zacharyp​ Hi there, my apologies for not getting back to you on this ask sooner! From what I can tell, the decision to offer the web connection authentication in lieu of strictly SAML was based on offering support to the greatest number of users. The OAuth method still accommodates SAML where needed, but also accommodates other users' needs with the Sharepoint format (specifically ADFS support).