Solved

FME-Desktop crashes while loading main Window

Hello there,

i have a big Problem. My FME-Desktop-Application crashes while loading the main window. If i start FME the littel loading window appears. But when the main window is loading the launcher crashes without any errormessage.

Reinstalling the software didnt solve the problem.

Have anyone a idea what i can do?

Thanks 🙂

icon

Best answer by danminneyatsaf 9 February 2023, 23:59

View original

27 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Sometimes ago I have the same problem. I had a customtransformer with a German vowel (ä etc.) in the filename.

Starts the DataInspector?

Thanks for the quick answer!

The DataInspector/QuickTranslator starts without a problem.

Where is the location for the customtransformer? In the default location (My Documents\\FME\\Transformers) there is no file or a customtransformer.

Is there another location/path?

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @trigger93​ sorry to hear you're running into this issue. What version of FME desktop are you running?

If you have the Windows Event Viewer open when the program crashes, do you see an error show up under the Windows Logs > Application view? I've included a screenshot for reference of where you will want to look for the Error log in the Event Viewer.

imageIf you do encounter an Error log in the Event Viewer, would you be able to share the details with us?

Hi danminneyat thank you for your answer.

I use version 2022.1.3-b22630.

The Windows Event Viewer retruns a error when the program crashes. This error message is displayed.

"Faulting application path: C:\\Program Files\\FME\\fmeworkbench.exe "

"Faulting module path: C:\\Program Files\\FME\\Qt6Gui_fme.dll"

I tried to reinstall FME, but the gui keeps crashing.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi danminneyat thank you for your answer.

I use version 2022.1.3-b22630.

The Windows Event Viewer retruns a error when the program crashes. This error message is displayed.

"Faulting application path: C:\\Program Files\\FME\\fmeworkbench.exe "

"Faulting module path: C:\\Program Files\\FME\\Qt6Gui_fme.dll"

I tried to reinstall FME, but the gui keeps crashing.

@trigger93​ Thanks for sharing those details! This is a known issue with FME 2022.1.3 that has to do with the failing Qt6 module displayed in the Event Viewer log. Currently, we have a workaround that requires using the Registry Editor. You will need to change the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Safe Software Inc.\\FME Workbench\\Settings\\Show Start Page to false

To make the changes easier, I have attached a simple .reg file that can be used to make the changes. Just right-click on the file and choose the "Merge" option and click "Ok" on the subsequent warning dialog. Then, re-open FME Workbench and see if this resolves the issue. Hope this helps!

Badge

We are seeing this issue when FME2020 is installed alongside FME2022.2. Is anyone else seeing this issue? Running the reg file provided by @danminneyatsaf​ didn't seem to resolve the issue for us.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

We are seeing this issue when FME2020 is installed alongside FME2022.2. Is anyone else seeing this issue? Running the reg file provided by @danminneyatsaf​ didn't seem to resolve the issue for us.

@nmiller​ the issue could be caused by lingering settings created by an older version of FME (2020 in your case). As a test, would you be able to try temporarily renaming the following registry key and then start workbench? Does the issue still occur? 

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Safe Software Inc.

If this doesn't resolve the issue then we can follow up with you through a case to setup some next steps.

Badge +8

@nmiller​ the issue could be caused by lingering settings created by an older version of FME (2020 in your case). As a test, would you be able to try temporarily renaming the following registry key and then start workbench? Does the issue still occur? 

If this doesn't resolve the issue then we can follow up with you through a case to setup some next steps.

@danminneyatsaf​ I am having the same issue with FME Desktop 2022.2.1. I am trying to open the FME workbench and it crashes upon loading without any error message. Is renaming the registry key also a solution for me?

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

@fme_can_do_it​ I would suggest trying that workaround first. Let me know if the registry key solution doesn't work for you. Additionally, what other versions of FME did you have installed on your machine before you installed FME 2022.2.1? This information will help us to investigate the issue since existing FME settings may be interfering with new installs. 

Badge +8

@danminneyatsaf​ The registry editor workaround did not work for me, but uninstalling the previous version of FME and reinstalling FME 2022.2.1 did.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Thank you all for sharing information about your workarounds and your build versions affected. We are aware this issue is preventing some users from using FME all-together, and are investigating the root cause of the issue. I've created a larger bug report to track this issue (FMEDESKTOP-13592 for your reference). We will make sure to update this post as we find out more information.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi everyone, we've managed to track down the source of this issue and have resolved it as of FME 2022.2 (Build 22788).

If you're running into this issue, please download the latest version of FME 2022.2 and the issue should no longer persist. Thanks for your patience and we worked hard to find the culprit of this bug. If you're still running into any crashes, please let me know. 

CC: @trigger93​ @fme_can_do_it​ @nmiller​ @tomfriedl​ 

Badge

Hi I'm using FME 2022.2.5 and still have the same issue with Qt6Sql_fme.dll ! appcrash event in the the log file.. anyone with helpful tips

------------------------------------------------------------------

Felet uppstod i programmet med namn: fmeworkbench.exe, version 2022.7.45.22795, tidsstämpel 0x6424fcdc

, felet uppstod i modulen med namn: Qt6Sql_fme.dll, version 6.2.4.0, tidsstämpel 0x6254adba

Undantagskod: 0xc0000005

Felförskjutning: 0x000000000000edbf

Process-ID: 0x7968

Programmets starttid: 0x01d98ca438014579

Sökväg till program: C:\\Program Files\\FME\\fmeworkbench.exe

Sökväg till modul: C:\\Program Files\\FME\\Qt6Sql_fme.dll

Rapport-ID: 4320bc12-2030-4046-b3b8-63e036810fb4

Fullständigt namn på felaktigt paket: 

Program-ID relativt till felaktigt paket: 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fel-bucket 0, typ 4

Händelsenamn: APPCRASH

Svar: Inte tillgänglig

Kabinett-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:

P1: fmeworkbench.exe

P2: 2022.7.45.22795

P3: 6424fcdc

P4: Qt6Sql_fme.dll

P5: 6.2.4.0

P6: 6254adba

P7: c0000005

P8: 000000000000edbf

P9: 

P10: 

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi I'm using FME 2022.2.5 and still have the same issue with Qt6Sql_fme.dll ! appcrash event in the the log file.. anyone with helpful tips

------------------------------------------------------------------

Felet uppstod i programmet med namn: fmeworkbench.exe, version 2022.7.45.22795, tidsstämpel 0x6424fcdc

, felet uppstod i modulen med namn: Qt6Sql_fme.dll, version 6.2.4.0, tidsstämpel 0x6254adba

Undantagskod: 0xc0000005

Felförskjutning: 0x000000000000edbf

Process-ID: 0x7968

Programmets starttid: 0x01d98ca438014579

Sökväg till program: C:\\Program Files\\FME\\fmeworkbench.exe

Sökväg till modul: C:\\Program Files\\FME\\Qt6Sql_fme.dll

Rapport-ID: 4320bc12-2030-4046-b3b8-63e036810fb4

Fullständigt namn på felaktigt paket: 

Program-ID relativt till felaktigt paket: 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fel-bucket 0, typ 4

Händelsenamn: APPCRASH

Svar: Inte tillgänglig

Kabinett-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:

P1: fmeworkbench.exe

P2: 2022.7.45.22795

P3: 6424fcdc

P4: Qt6Sql_fme.dll

P5: 6.2.4.0

P6: 6254adba

P7: c0000005

P8: 000000000000edbf

P9: 

P10: 

Hi @ghattas111​ the issue you're seeing looks related to a separate library (Qt6Sql_fme.dll) than the one that was discussed in this thread (Qt6Gui_fme.dll).

Would you be able to submit a new Question in the FME Community and tag me in it? This will allow us to treat this as a separate issue and dive into the issue there. An initial suggestion would be to uninstall FME 2022.2.5, clear your any keys in the following registry "Computer\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\SOFTWARE\\Safe Software Inc", and then re-install FME 2022.2.5.

I had the same problem. I have FME Form (2023.1 b23619), and also an old version of ArcGIS DataInterop both installed, and found the cause was this reg key: [Computer\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\SOFTWARE\\Safe Software Inc.\\FME Workbench\\Window States\\2017]

- on my pc, deleting this old [... \\2017] folder fixed the problem

image.pngimage.png

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

I had the same problem. I have FME Form (2023.1 b23619), and also an old version of ArcGIS DataInterop both installed, and found the cause was this reg key: [Computer\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\SOFTWARE\\Safe Software Inc.\\FME Workbench\\Window States\\2017]

- on my pc, deleting this old [... \\2017] folder fixed the problem

image.pngimage.png

Hey @mathewc​ thanks for letting us know about this potential workaround. We're aware that the qt6gui_fme.dll issue is affecting some users and will post updates to our Known Issues in FME 2023.x article once we've made some findings.

Hey @mathewc​ thanks for letting us know about this potential workaround. We're aware that the qt6gui_fme.dll issue is affecting some users and will post updates to our Known Issues in FME 2023.x article once we've made some findings.

Hey @danminneyatsaf​, FYI I had the same problem as mathew above, this time using FME Form 2023.2 b23764. As above, the faulting module was Qt6Widgets_fme.dll, version: 6.5.1.0. The workaround of deleting the 2017 folder worked for me.

I have the same issue with FME 2023.2.1 on a VMware machine. Adding the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Safe Software Inc.\\FME Workbench\\Settings\\Show Start Page to false does not fix the issue

1. The renaming of the "Computer\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Safe Software Inc." key seems to works , i can start FME Workbench 2023.2.1 after the renaming of the key without an error . But if i start to use on this same machine the Workbenc 2020.1.1 then after the FME Workbench 2023.2.1 does not start anymore . I have to rename again the "Computer\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Safe Software Inc." key :-(

Userlevel 2
Badge +9
  1. The renaming of the "Computer\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Safe Software Inc." key seems to works , i can start FME Workbench 2023.2.1 after the renaming of the key without an error . But if i start to use on this same machine the Workbenc 2020.1.1 then after the FME Workbench 2023.2.1 does not start anymore . I have to rename again the "Computer\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Safe Software Inc." key :-(

Hi @p-chessel-vdg​ thanks for notifying us of this issue. This has been a really tough one to track down unfortunately and we still haven't found a solution.

Are you able to share some additional information about your VMware machine, such as the machine hardware specifications, OS, and VMware version?

One thing you could try is updating your VMware Tools to update your OpenGL Version. This has worked for another GUI issue in the past so I'm curious if this is the case with what you're experiencing.

It is a VWmare v 7.0.3 , build 22357613 , 16GB RAM , Windows Server 2019

FME is latest FME2023.2.1 build fme-form-2023.2.1-b23774-win-x64.exe

The VMware Tools is the latest version : 12.3.5 , 2023-10-26

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

The VMware Tools is the latest version : 12.3.5 , 2023-10-26

Thanks for sharing that information. I've left a comment on the existing bug report to add some additional context to the issue. Some other information that would be helpful to us is what other versions of FME you have installed on your machine currently?

There is FME 2020.1.0.1 (32 bits) and 2020.1.1.1 (64 bits)

Badge +1

Hello all,

I have installed on my laptop FME 2022.2.2 and FME 2022.2.8 and I’m still getting the Qt6Gui_fme.dll crash.

In my case, I managed to narrow down the cause to changing the screen configuration: if I work on a single monitor setup and save+close FME and when I connect to a multiple monitor configuration, FME will crash. The workaround is to disconnect the external displays, launch FME and then reconnect the displays.

I agree with @mathewc, the issue has to be somewhere in [Computer\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\SOFTWARE\\Safe Software Inc.\\FME Workbench\\Window States\\2017], in the variables that store the window position.