Question

I installed FME Desktop on a PC & chose the one seat that avail. to me (FME Desktop Edition as floating license type). So far so good. It shows 1 seat "In Use" This app FME Desktop got uninstalled, it still shows 1 seat "In Use" How to release this

• 20 October 2022
  • 2 replies

I did go into C:\\ProgramData\\Safe Software\\FME and deleted the License folder within, but that won't refresh anything that shown in FME Desktop Licensing Assistant. I am looking to see 0 under "In Use" column shown in the Licensing Assistant little window.

1) How do I refresh the license server (? I do know its name -- hostname of my floating license server-- if that what it takes to see the 0 under "In Use" column?

2) I need to release the seat so I can reuse it to license the FME Desktop again after I'm done with re-installing the app (Currently it keeps saying the one seat is still "In Use." Is it because I didn't not release it properly by just doing an 'accidental' uninstallation of my FME Desktop prior?

3) Do I need to do anything with the register key it gave me?

Thanks.

2 replies

Badge +6

Hello @aintgotnosoul​, from what you've described it sounds like you looking to monitor the licenses being used. The FME Desktop Licensing Assistant functions mainly as a licensing tool and less for license administration. The accurate way to monitor and administer licenses being that is being used/checked out would be through the Flexera license manager. To do that you can follow the steps outlined here: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Desktop_Admin_Guide/FMEInstallation/Monitoring_Floating_License_Use.htm

A few reasons to why you may not be seeing 0 as "In Use". A FME license will be consumed when any FME process is being used, the Licensing assistant being one of them. Even if you've cleared your "License" folder it isn't guaranteed that is where your floating license dat files were generated so you may have some dat files still present on your machine.

Hope this clears up any confusion!

Just a follow-up question, so I'm stuck with this license seat and thinking about upgrading my FME Workbench from 2017 to 2018, would my license stay intact after my upgrading (meaning the current seat is still good, right? I won't have to take up a new seat per this upgrading for it to work properly, correct? )

BTW I'm using FME Database Edition.