Question

Is it possible to configure that certain users get priority in getting a FME license over other users?

• 10 October 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +13
  • Contributor
  • 58 replies

At our organization, we don't have enough licenses at the moment. Naturally, part of the solution is to buy new licenses, however it would also be nice to implement something that certain users get priority in getting a FME desktop license over other users. I was looking at the following link https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Desktop_Admin_Guide/FMEInstallation/Restricting_Licenses_to_Users_or_Groups.htm. I see it's possible to reserve for certain groups, however instead of reserving, I would like to do priotising. Is it possible to configure something like that.

1 reply

Badge +10

@joy​ 

The best way to set this up would be to use the RESERVE option and define group(s). For example, if there is a group/department that always needs to have 5 licenses for their 5 users, then you would create a group and then reserve 5 licenses for those individuals. You may want to explore a few of the other options such as exclude, include for the options file (more information can be found in the Administration document within the install folder of FlexLM).

Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to prioritize licenses with the FlexLM application that is used to manage FME Desktop floating licenses. This is because it's not possible to remove licenses from a person as a license will be checked out from the license server if an FME-related process is open - the license will not be returned until all FME processes end.

-Andrea