Solved

Which .NET components and versions does FME Server depend upon?

• 5 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +13

Hello all,

Because of this Microsoft notice on e.o.l. for .NET Framework 4.5/6/7 I got questioned of the dependencies of FME Server.

A quick search both on the Safe documentation, as on the interweb did not yield a satisfying answer, so I post it here...

On which Microsoft .NET components and versions thereof does FME Server depend? Will upgrading to .NET Framework 4.8 break an FME installation?

Client asks for an official statement from us, or from Safe Software that upgrading the .NET framework won't cause any issues.

[edit]: It involves both FME Server version 2021.1.1 and 2018.1 

Kind regards,

Martin

p.s. I checked the Windows-FME-servers I have access to, and they all have .NET framework 4.8 installed, so I do have my gut-feelings on this subject. Also I would be more than astonished to hear Safe developing newer releases of their product using outdated Microsoft frameworks.

Only those things won't convince the client involved.

icon

Best answer by merlinegeorge 26 October 2022, 17:11

View original

4 replies

Badge +5

Hello @martinkoch​ 

Starting with .NET 4.5.2, Microsoft includes the Framework as part of the standard Windows distribution

So you’re expected to see .NET 4.8 installed on the Windows hosts FME Server is running on.

That said, FME Server 2021 deprecated the .NET API in favour of the REST API

So FME Server does not have any dependency on the .NET component of Windows.

Badge +5

Upon further discussion with our third-party integrations team, we have found that neither FME Desktop nor FME Server is reliant on the .NET Framework. As a result, we do not anticipate any issues upgrading this framework on your client's system. However, we strongly recommend thorough testing before deploying any changes to a production environment.

Please note format support for Microsoft SQL Server Spatial (non-JDBC) format is dependent on the .NET framework (documentation states 4.5.2, however we've confirmed this is a minimum. Microsoft states 4.5 and later versions are compatible).

So if your customer has workspaces containing this format these should be covered as part of their testing, and should anything not work as expected unfortunately we will not be able to provide support for this and a rollback will be necessary.

Finally, FME 2018 is considered a mature release and will be retired next year, therefore we'd also suggest you encourage your customer to consider upgrading to the latest version of FME to continue receiving support and to maintain compatibility with all 3rd party dependencies.

Badge +13

Upon further discussion with our third-party integrations team, we have found that neither FME Desktop nor FME Server is reliant on the .NET Framework. As a result, we do not anticipate any issues upgrading this framework on your client's system. However, we strongly recommend thorough testing before deploying any changes to a production environment.

Please note format support for Microsoft SQL Server Spatial (non-JDBC) format is dependent on the .NET framework (documentation states 4.5.2, however we've confirmed this is a minimum. Microsoft states 4.5 and later versions are compatible).

So if your customer has workspaces containing this format these should be covered as part of their testing, and should anything not work as expected unfortunately we will not be able to provide support for this and a rollback will be necessary.

Finally, FME 2018 is considered a mature release and will be retired next year, therefore we'd also suggest you encourage your customer to consider upgrading to the latest version of FME to continue receiving support and to maintain compatibility with all 3rd party dependencies.

🙏​

@Merline George​ , we are having to upgrade our .NET Framework version to 4.8 to accommodate Pro. Just want to confirm that FME License Server does not rely on .NET Framework, correct? Our FME Server is at version 2022.1.2 and License Manager is v11.15.0.0.