Question

Feature Reader - Pass on Schema Attribute to the Generic Port

• 5 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

I am struggling with what I am sure is a very simple thing but one that I cannot sort out.

I am using Path to search for specific files in a directory which I then read with the Feature Reader. Thing is, I need part of the path_rootname as an attribute to use forward but I cannot seem to be able and extract it. I created "Year" as per the snips but I don't know how to use it forward. I only get the values from the Generic port but for "Year" I get <missing> for each row.

I can see the "Year" attribute in the <Schema> port (and it shows up correctly) but I do not know how to pass it on to the next transformers. I tried connecting the <schema> port along with the <generic> one but it doesn't work.

I also tried attribute exposer, attribute creator but no luck. Any ideas on why this isn't working? thank you!

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

At the bottom of the FeatureReader fold out "Attribute and Geometry Handling" and choose "Merge Initiator and Result".

Badge +2

At the bottom of the FeatureReader fold out "Attribute and Geometry Handling" and choose "Merge Initiator and Result".

thank you, @nielsgerrits​, that did the job.

I am now trying to understand the logic behind. I initially had "Only use result". I have to read what the difference is. Thank you again,

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

thank you, @nielsgerrits​, that did the job.

I am now trying to understand the logic behind. I initially had "Only use result". I have to read what the difference is. Thank you again,

From the documentation:

Merge Initiator and Result: Output features will contain all of the un-conflicted attributes from the results of the read as well as any un-conflicted attributes from the Initiator feature. This mode will handle conflicted attributes based on the Conflict Resolution parameter.

Only Use Result: Output features will contain only attributes resulting from the read.

Only Use Initiator: Output features will contain all of the attributes from the Initiator feature, but none of the attributes resulting from the read.

Prefix Initiator: Output features will contain attributes resulting from the read, as well as attributes from the Initiator feature but with the Initiator attribute names prefixed with the Prefix parameter.