Solved

Is there a way to transform/read the Esri well-known text representation (sde.ST_ASTEXT) as an fme feature type?

• 23 September 2022
  • 5 replies

I want to take the results of a SQL expression (SQL Executor) that returns a format like:

POLYGON((2861292.56247401 15394288.32744411,2861296.63792518 15394295.48523819,2861287.86169601 15394300.48260353,2861283.78591676 15394293.32480944,2861292.56247401 15394288.32744411))

and generate an fme polygon object without first writing the geometry json to a file.

I have looked at FeatureReader and ESRI JSON reader. Looks like the variable passed is expected to be a file.

The issue I have is the new ArcSDE Geodb reader reads Esri Annotation geometry as a point. The annotation geometry type is stored as polygon. I need to get the polygon like I had before with the Esri Legacy Reader.

icon

Best answer by ebygomm 23 September 2022, 10:52

View original

5 replies

Badge +10

Hi @cferris​, Once documented ~solution has been to put the query into a view and switch to the ESRI Geodatabase reader, but I can understand if that doesn't meet your needs.

--

If I've provided something helpful, please upvote the comment. If I've provided a solution, please mark it as 'Best Answer'. This marks the post as answered and helps the community find the solution. If I didn't provide a solution, please let me know if I can help further. Thanks! 🙂

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

You can use the GeometryReplacer to construct the polygon from the well known text. Use OGC Well Known Text for the encoding parameter

Hi @cferris​, Once documented ~solution has been to put the query into a view and switch to the ESRI Geodatabase reader, but I can understand if that doesn't meet your needs.

--

If I've provided something helpful, please upvote the comment. If I've provided a solution, please mark it as 'Best Answer'. This marks the post as answered and helps the community find the solution. If I didn't provide a solution, please let me know if I can help further. Thanks! 🙂

Thanks carmijo. This was my backup plan. And thanks for the link to that discussion. Lots of good stuff in the Safe community!

Badge +10

Thanks carmijo. This was my backup plan. And thanks for the link to that discussion. Lots of good stuff in the Safe community!

There sure is! happy to help

You can use the GeometryReplacer to construct the polygon from the well known text. Use OGC Well Known Text for the encoding parameter

Thanks ebygomm. This is what I was looking for. We have not been able to move off FME Server 2016 because of a legacy GIS. One component of the legacy GIS is a custom third-party writer that outputs their version of well-known text geometries. With the switch to the ArcSDE Geodb reader, the custom writer output annotation geometries as POINT instead of POLYGON. The legacy GIS displays is smart enough to display off a point instead of a polygon, but it shifted all the labels creating a safety issue for the crews. Passing the annotation geometry as OGC Well Known Text to the GeometryReplacer and onto the custom writer outputs the exact same file we get with the legacy FME workspaces. This solution allows us to finish migrating to FME Server 2022 and keep the legacy GIS alive while we migrate that system. Many thanks!