Question

What's Up Wednesday (21-September-2022): Server Apps Troubleshooting, Automations, New Training Dates, The HALO Trust, Workspace Comparison, and more

• 21 September 2022
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hello FME friends,

Server Apps Troubleshooting

As I mentioned previously, I'm getting a weekly report of new and updated knowledgebase articles, and the one that stood out this week is FME Server Troubleshooting: Server Apps.

Besides simple troubleshooting steps, there are a number of FAQ-type issues, such as "Why don't users have the ability to upload files to my app?" Solution: Ensure the "User Can Upload" setting is enabled.

WUW-2022-09-21-01 

Also, there's an interesting issue where the OK button doesn't work (answer: there's a user parameter that's hidden, but is required and has no default value). I think that's definitely worth knowing about.

Also on my list this week:

Server Automations Demo

Something I tried for the first time last week was FME Server Automations. I only made a simple two-workspace chain, started by a schedule, but the recording might be a useful introduction if you, too, are new to the functionality:

WUW-2022-09-21-02 

When I have time, my next step is to add an alert as a final action in the process. Right now, I'm thinking of Twitter. I'm not sure if I can tweet directly as an action or whether I'll need to create a workspace. Either way, I'm sure I'll need to use keys to pass information from the final workspace, and that will be another new technology for me.

Speaking of Twitter, a user (I think it was Donegal Maps) asked recently if it is possible to attach multiple images to a tweet. At the time, it wasn't, but I see that capability is being added to FME 2022.2 (build 22727).

Even before the beta is available, my "Bothan spies" at Safe have secured a screenshot of the new functionality:

WUW-2022-09-21-07 

I believe that 2022.2 is about 6 weeks away from being released.

New Training Dates

On our website, we have some new training dates for Safe-hosted courses.

• Integrate Data with the FME Platform: Oct 18-19th, 9 am - 1 pm
  • Getting Started with the FME Platform: Nov 15th, 9 am - 1 pm
  • FME Desktop Advanced: Dec 5-9th, 9 am - 1 pm

And FME Accelerator courses:

• FME Accelerator: Oct 12th, 10-11:30 am
  • FME Accelerator: Nov 3rd, 9-10:30 am
  • FME Accelerator: Nov 30th, 9-10:30 am
  • FME Accelerator Dec 13th

Don't forget, of course, that the course page also lists courses by partners in various locations and languages, and that there are many self-serve courses available on the FME Academy as well.

WUW-2022-09-21-03 

User Story: The HALO Trust

A new #FMEforGood story concerns the HALO trust, the largest landmine clearance charity in the world.

To enable operations in an active war zone, HALO started leveraging open source data, collecting incident data from various sources, and processing it with FME for publishing to their Esri ArcGIS web maps.

WUW-2022-09-21-04 

You can see the results of their labour in this live incident map.

General News

con terra's latest FME zum Kaffee video is all about workspace comparison.

The IMGS "FME Intelligence 2022" event has Don Murray confirmed as a presenter. Click here to register.

WUW-2022-09-21-05 

Andrew Drinkwater explains why FME is a wonderful tool to support colleges and universities in their digital transformation journey.

Martin Ekstrand shares a Python script that calls the FME Server API as an automated way to "watch the watcher".

Bo Guo condenses his FME User Conference presentation to discuss quality-assured Street Address Parsing using MLOps with FME.

And Safe Software reminds you that next week we'll be at Autodesk University in Louisiana.

Congratulations to Mark Mclean (Certified Professional Renewal), and to Thiago Lúcio Brigagão (Certified Server Professional and Business Professional). And while Loïc Guenin Randelli might not have a new certification, he certainly has the best FME training view that I've ever seen!

WUW-2022-09-21-06 

5 replies

Badge +10

Thanks for the post!

Re: Also, there's an interesting issue where the OK button doesn't work (answer: there's a user parameter that's hidden, but is required and has no default value). I think that's definitely worth knowing about.||

I recently came across this issue for an optional data parameter. Feel free to reach out if you'd like to discuss further.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Thanks for the post!

Re: Also, there's an interesting issue where the OK button doesn't work (answer: there's a user parameter that's hidden, but is required and has no default value). I think that's definitely worth knowing about.||

I recently came across this issue for an optional data parameter. Feel free to reach out if you'd like to discuss further.

That is odd. What version of Server are you using? It's supposed to be fixed in 2022.1 or newer, but this could be an entirely new issue. Either way, I'll pass it on to our Server support folks to evaluate and get in touch with you.

Thanks for letting me know about this one.

Badge +10

That is odd. What version of Server are you using? It's supposed to be fixed in 2022.1 or newer, but this could be an entirely new issue. Either way, I'll pass it on to our Server support folks to evaluate and get in touch with you.

Ah, this server instance is on FME Server 2021.2.6 Build 21821 - win64. Yeah, of course!

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I've passed it on just in case, but if it's not causing you too much pain I suspect we might put it on hold and see if it's still an issue next time you upgrade. As far as I know, there have been no other reports of that behaviour.

Badge +10

yeah, that's fine. Thank you