Question

Error connecting to Oracle database in Data Inspector when I select View Source Data in Desktop 2022

• 19 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi,

I have an Oracle Non-Spatial reader in Desktop 22.1.2 and when I select "View Source Data"

View Source Data 

I get the following error message in the Data Inspector

11 "Error connecting to Oracle database: message was `ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified'. (serverType=`ORACLE8i', serverName=`C:/Windows/System32/CMPROD', userName=`', password=`***', dbname=`')"

12 "Error connecting to Oracle database: message was `%5'. (serverType=`%0', serverName=`%1', userName=`%2', password=`***', dbname=`%4')"

13 "Failed to specify the feature index as constraints on the reader."

The DB connection is OK because I can run just the reader and inspect the cached features in the Data Inspector no problem.

Inspect Feature CachesIt's only an issue when I select View Source Data.

Anyone else seeing this?

Regards,

5 replies

Badge +6

Hi @smcd84​, have you had a chance to walk through the resolution for ORA-12154 error in this article? If this doesn't resolve your issue, please file a support case for this issue.

Badge

Hi @jennaatsafe​,

Thank you for your reply.

No luck with the resolution for ORA-12154 error in the article unfortunately.

It's odd because I can view the source data in v2021 but not in v2022.

I inspected the log files in both instances and it appears that the server names are different but I'm not sure why this would be.

From the log file in v2021;

"Using Oracle Reader to read tables from database `', server type `ORACLE8i', server name `CMPROD', user name `cmsys', password `***'."

From the log file in v2022;

"Error connecting to Oracle database: message was `ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified'. (serverType=`ORACLE8i', serverName=`C:/Windows/System32/CMPROD', userName=`', password=`***', dbname=`')"

Regards,

Badge +10

Hi @jennaatsafe​,

Thank you for your reply.

No luck with the resolution for ORA-12154 error in the article unfortunately.

It's odd because I can view the source data in v2021 but not in v2022.

I inspected the log files in both instances and it appears that the server names are different but I'm not sure why this would be.

From the log file in v2021;

"Using Oracle Reader to read tables from database `', server type `ORACLE8i', server name `CMPROD', user name `cmsys', password `***'."

From the log file in v2022;

"Error connecting to Oracle database: message was `ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified'. (serverType=`ORACLE8i', serverName=`C:/Windows/System32/CMPROD', userName=`', password=`***', dbname=`')"

Regards,

@smcd84​ 

I'm glad you reported this as I'm experiencing this ongoing issue for a little while now. Not sure if related but same symptoms.

Mine will also point to system32 or the path from where my workspace runs.

This problem only occurs when launching Data Inspector from the Workspace for viewing purposes.

DI does not seem to be able to find the connection. You have to manually select the correct one.

Looking at the log file one can tell it's obvious as no Db connection details/string would be found in System32 or elsewhere.

I've even created a new connection which did not exist at all and same result.

imageFull Log

C:\\Users\\ADMINI~1.MOL\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\FMEDataInspector\\logs\\fmedatainspector_2022-09-23T08-43-18.log

'POSTGRES' reader was created successfully

FME Configuration: Connection Storage: 'E:\\FMEConnectionStorage-DO-NOT-DELETE'

Creating reader for format: PostgreSQL

Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `POSTGRES'

Loaded module 'POSTGRES' from file 'C:\\Program Files\\FME\\2022\\plugins/POSTGIS.dll'

FME API version of module 'POSTGIS' matches current internal version (4.0 20220615)

The dataset 'C:\\Windows\\System32\\MVDC_Layers-PSQL14' was opened successfully

The feature cache has not been loaded while a new setConstraints was performed. Now loading...

Opening POSTGRES reader for dataset 'C:\\Windows\\System32\\MVDC_Layers-PSQL14'

Error connecting to PostgreSQL database(host='', port='', dbname='C:\\Windows\\System32\\MVDC_Layers-PSQL14', user='', password='***'): 'could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)

Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting

TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)

Is the server running on host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting

'

Reader failed in open() call

An error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Failed to specify the feature index as constraints on the reader

Removing dataset 'MVDC_Layers-PSQL14 [POSTGRES]' from View 1

The dataset 'C:\\Windows\\System32\\MVDC_Layers-PSQL14' was closed successfully

Successfully closed POSTGRES database reader

The 'POSTGRES' reader was destroyed successfully

Worker 12180 > FMEObjects Worker is starting up...

Worker 12180 > FME session was created successfully

Same thing happening with a SQL Server Db Connection.

Log Output: C:\\Users\\ADMINI~1.MOL\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\FMEDataInspector\\logs\\fmedatainspector_2022-09-23T08-24-49.log

'POSTGIS' reader was created successfully

FME Configuration: Connection Storage: 'E:\\FMEConnectionStorage-DO-NOT-DELETE'

Creating reader for format: PostGIS

Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `POSTGIS'

Loaded module 'POSTGIS' from file 'C:\\Program Files\\FME\\2022\\plugins/POSTGIS.dll'

FME API version of module 'POSTGIS' matches current internal version (4.0 20220615)

The dataset 'E:\\FME Workbench\\StatMap\\MVDC<space>Cloud<space>Db' was opened successfully

The feature cache has not been loaded while a new setConstraints was performed. Now loading...

Opening POSTGIS reader for dataset 'E:\\FME Workbench\\StatMap\\MVDC<space>Cloud<space>Db'

Error connecting to PostgreSQL database(host='', port='', dbname='E:\\FME Workbench\\StatMap\\MVDC<space>Cloud<space>Db', user='', password='***'): 'could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)

Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting

could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)

Is the server running on host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting

'

Reader failed in open() call

Failed to specify the feature index as constraints on the reader

Removing dataset 'MVDC Cloud Db [POSTGIS]' from View 1

The dataset 'E:\\FME Workbench\\StatMap\\MVDC<space>Cloud<space>Db' was closed successfully

Successfully closed POSTGIS database reader.

I've reported this to my supplier but looking forward for a response here.

Badge +6

Hi @sameer​ , @smcd84​. It is hard to determine the cause of this issue without a deeper dive into your workspace/local settings/config. Sometimes these messages coming from a third party client can be difficult for FME to decipher and display a helpful error message about. This is an issue we are continuing to monitor. I would recommend submitting a support ticket with supplementing documentation.

Badge +10

Hi @sameer​ , @smcd84​. It is hard to determine the cause of this issue without a deeper dive into your workspace/local settings/config. Sometimes these messages coming from a third party client can be difficult for FME to decipher and display a helpful error message about. This is an issue we are continuing to monitor. I would recommend submitting a support ticket with supplementing documentation.

Hi @jennaatsafe​ . A support ticket has already been logged with supporting information (Contracted Safe Partner). Might be a bug which first appeared in release 2021 as it's when it started happening for me. It's not linked to a workspace. If I add an existing / newly created Db connection onto a blank workspace then view the data using the Inspector, I would get an error message. Viewing the data using the Workbench is fine. FME Server Automations / Scheduled jobs / … all working fine.

Data inspector appends %WINDIR%\\system32 or the path of a saved workspace to the Db connection if inspecting data from that location and that's what the problem is.

Hope this clarifies it better.