Solved

Emailing a esri file geodatabase

• 14 September 2022
  • 7 replies

I am trying to email a file geodatabase. I quickly learned that FME Server doesnt like folders and will only zip and email files. So I went back to the desktop client and set the gdb to be zipped for output. Tested it on local storage and I get a valid zip archive that contains the gdb folder.

I then publish that workspace to FME Server and run it with a geodatabase folder parameter of

$(FME_SHAREDRESOURCE_DATA)\\BuildingFootprintQC\\BFP_overlaps.zip\\BFP_overlaps.gdb

OR

$(FME_SHAREDRESOURCE_DATA)\\BuildingFootprintQC\\

Neither works. The workspace runs without error but generates no output. I logged into the host server and checked the resources folders to make sure the zip is not there and indeed its not being created.

How can I get FME Server to follow the desktop function of zipping the output so I can tell the email action in the automation to send the gdb as an attachment?

Edit:

I checked the log and the entry MULTIREADER: output will be zipped only appears when running on the desktop client. In Server that entry is missing as if it doesnt honor the zip output function

icon

Best answer by nielsgerrits 15 September 2022, 16:04

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Multiple possible solutions, but I often use the ZipArchiver transformer to zip my output before emailing from server.

Should I place the ZipArchiver transformer before my file gdb writer? Im trying to avoid having an additional workspace just to zip the output.

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Should I place the ZipArchiver transformer before my file gdb writer? Im trying to avoid having an additional workspace just to zip the output.

No, use a FeatureWriter and use the summary outputport to initiate the ZipArchiver. Then use the emailer to send the mail.

Badge +9

No, use a FeatureWriter and use the summary outputport to initiate the ZipArchiver. Then use the emailer to send the mail.

Also, don't forget to test if your zip is smaller than the max attachment size for your mail client.

I ended up using the feature writer to create the file gdb in an FME Server resource folder then took the output dataset and fed it into a zip archiver. I used published parameters to allow the location to be set for the gdb and zip at run time. I used an FME Server automation to send the email though.

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

I ended up using the feature writer to create the file gdb in an FME Server resource folder then took the output dataset and fed it into a zip archiver. I used published parameters to allow the location to be set for the gdb and zip at run time. I used an FME Server automation to send the email though.

Can you explain why you use an automation to send the email? I'm trying to learn and not sure why or when to use automations.

Can you explain why you use an automation to send the email? I'm trying to learn and not sure why or when to use automations.

Absolutely. So the old notification system, listed as "classic" in FME Server interface, is the process of clients sending information via a publication to a topic. Example a workspace runs (client), sends the resulting information via a publication, to a topic, which is then disseminated by subscriptions to the receiving clients. The link above is a good visual representation.

This was confusing and required a large amount of network config to work correctly. The new automations system still uses topics to handle messaging but does not use the publication or subscription system. fme server automationsHere is an example.

gisreport_automationIn this example the automation is triggered by posts to the ASYNC_DATADOWNLOAD_JOB_SUCCESS topic. The log action logs the entire job event as JSON so I can filter on the job information. I then filter by searching for a specific repository because im only interested in receiving emails from our reporting workspaces. Then the automation sends an email containing relevant attachments or information.

This way I can write any report in FME Desktop then publish it to the repository GIS REPORTS without having to configure the email part of it. I just do reader > transform > writer, then publish and the notifications about success and failure is already handled.

Lets look at another example.

buildingfootprints_qualitycontrolThis automation is triggered by posts to the ASYNC_JOB_SUBMITTER_SUCCESS or ASYNC_JOB_SUBMITTER_FAILURE. It then filters the events by searching for "BuildingFootprint" which isolates the workspaces I want to focus on. It creates a log event of the full JSON for further filtering. It then splits the flow depending on which of the workspaces triggered the automation. If its the attribute check I did it takes the top path. If its the geometry validation workspace it follows the bottom path.

You can email in the workspace without issue. All of this could be completed in the workspace itself but when I have many related workspaces participating in an App Gallery.

gisreportsgalleryTo change the notification handling of all the workspaces involved i can modify 1 automation vs modifying and republishing every workspace.

It is entirely dependent on the scale and purpose of what you are doing.