Question

Compatibility issues (32bit and 64-bit) between ArcGIS, FME Desktop and FME Server

• 11 September 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

I have developed a workbench in 32-bit FME 2021.1.1.2 which is reading ArcSDE DB with ArcFM (32-bit) and 64bit background processing installed. I have ArcGIS 10.6.1 installed. This workbench has been published to 64bit FME Server 2021.1.0.1. The error i am getting after setting up the scheduler in FME Server is "Could not open Enterprise Geodatabase. The error number from ArcObjects is : -2147.... The error message from ArcObjects is : {Underlying DMBS error [Unknown errorNo Extended error.]}"

The workbench runs fine in a standalone mode without FME Server. Is the issue due to compatibility issues between 64-bit FME Server and 32-bit ESRI products or the the version difference between 2021.1.x between FME Desktop and FME Server ?

1 reply

Badge +6

Hi @bharat​ ,

FME Server should be the same, or newer, version as FME Workbench. Using an older version/build of FME Server can cause unpredictable results. My first recommendation is to upgrade FME Server or download an equal (or older) version of FME Workbench. As long as they're the same version, build, and environment, FME Server and FME Desktop engines are expected to function in the exact same way.

However, in this case, 32-bit ArcFM requires 32-bit FME. Instead of just installing a 32-bit FME Server, you have the option to install a separate, 32-bit FME Server Engine. As a warning, 32-bit versions have been deprecated in newer versions of FME.

More resources: