Solved

I'm new to FME and the Vmap/VPF format, And I would like to now how to convert an ESRI shapefile, obstacles (points with attribute height), to the VPF format. Is there someone who can guide me?

• 9 September 2022
  • 2 replies

I'm new to FME and the Vmap/VPF format, And I would like to now how to convert an ESRI shapefile, obstacles (points with attribute height), to the VPF format. Is there someone who can guide me?
icon

Best answer by paullfv 12 September 2022, 07:08

View original

2 replies

Badge +2

@paullfv​ I thought VPF had expired long ago! You can start with the FME documentation. I have also attached some old notes we have on working with VPF data in FME.

There are three points to emphasize:

• Firstly, VPF is a format, but VPF data is shipped in different "products" such as VMAP0, VMAP1, VMAP2, VMAP2i, DNC, WVS, etc. So you need to be specific about what 'product' you're working with and ensure you fully understand the data model and nuances of that product.
  • Secondly, data quality is critical for writing to VPF. For geometry, VPF is a topological based data model and so the source data should be topologically correct to ensure success
  • Thirdly, data quality is critical for writing to VPF. Data quality cannot be emphasized enough. You should do a data quality audit on the source data to ensure it is going to meet the needs of VPF.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have more detailed questions or want some examples: mark at safe dot com

Ok, I see that it is a bit different from other formats, it seems like there is a lot of special things to understand. How do I do if I'd like to save a Shape file with points (attributes: id, height and a geometry:2D-point) in VMAP1?

Kind regards,

Paul