Question

Writing colored mesh to OSGB

• 31 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I have created a colored mesh from a LAS file using PointCloudSurfaceBuilder and would like to write it to an OSGB file. My overall intention is to convert the OSGB to SLPK using ArcGIS Pro, as the FME I3S SLPK writer does not produce good results.

After writing the OSGB file using FME, the colors are gone, as the front appearance is set to one single ambient and diffuse color. Is it possible to multiple colors per mesh part?

Thanks in advance for Your help!

2022-08-31_1544082022-08-31_1542082022-08-31_154000

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

You might get better results if you texture the mesh with an image (create raster from the point cloud)​. You can use the appearance setter to apply a georeferenced image as a texture.

Badge +1

You might get better results if you texture the mesh with an image (create raster from the point cloud)​. You can use the appearance setter to apply a georeferenced image as a texture.

Hello Matt,

what about textures below a bridge? Which colors will be applied in that specific case with the workflow You described?

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hello Matt,

what about textures below a bridge? Which colors will be applied in that specific case with the workflow You described?

Now that is something where my suggested work flow would indeed not work as expected I guess. I hadn't considered that. If you can you could potentially create two surfaces (one from the bridge and one from the rest?) I guess it would require splitting the initial point cloud.