Question

How can I get the name of the polygon that most intersects the 1st polygon (the feature)?

Badge

Hello,

I have some polygons which overlaps and every polygon is a feature

I succeeded to have in attributes the name of polygons which intersect the feature (the 1st polygon).

Now, I would like to know how can I have the name of the polygon which intersects the most the first polygon.

Thank you!

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

The AreaOnAreaOverlayer is what I would use somewhere in the workflow. That will create little areas over overlap which you can then calculate the area from sort them.

You'll probably need to play around a bit with the workflow to get something that works how you want it, however, for sure AreaOnAreaOverlayer is probably the best option I think

Badge

The AreaOnAreaOverlayer is what I would use somewhere in the workflow. That will create little areas over overlap which you can then calculate the area from sort them.

You'll probably need to play around a bit with the workflow to get something that works how you want it, however, for sure AreaOnAreaOverlayer is probably the best option I think

The problem is that this transformer only tell us the number of time the polygon is intersected...As I said, I could have the names of polygones which intersect the 1st polygon (the feature) with this transformer. I was also able to calculate the part of the polygon that is intersected (generally, not by polygon)(in percent)...But now, I would like to have the polygon which intersect the most the feature (the 1st polygon) and the part ideally)

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

is possible like this:

• AreaOnAreaOverlayer with building list
  • Tester: Overlay = 2 or maybe > 1
  • ListSorter (maybe you have to create a usefull attribute before)
  • Listindexer

overlay 

Badge +2

@lachichi_farah​ Perhaps attaching an an image or a sample dataset would help the community understand what you're trying to accomplish

Badge

@lachichi_farah​ Perhaps attaching an an image or a sample dataset would help the community understand what you're trying to accomplish

You're right! Thanks!

Here a sample data. The third column (Recouverture) is the covered part of the polygon, the columns after this column are the name of polygons (cellules) which intersect the first polygon (NAME, second column). I would like to know the part of each polygon that intersects the first polygon (the feature (column NAME) in order to know which polygon intersects it the most

Badge

is possible like this:

• AreaOnAreaOverlayer with building list
  • Tester: Overlay = 2 or maybe > 1
  • ListSorter (maybe you have to create a usefull attribute before)
  • Listindexer

overlay 

I don't know if this is what I'm looking for but I failed to do this, but I keep trying, thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

You're right! Thanks!

Here a sample data. The third column (Recouverture) is the covered part of the polygon, the columns after this column are the name of polygons (cellules) which intersect the first polygon (NAME, second column). I would like to know the part of each polygon that intersects the first polygon (the feature (column NAME) in order to know which polygon intersects it the most

Hello @lachichi_farah​, this seems very similar to a previous question you posted, and I beleieve the sample dataset is also the same? I think you should be able to use the workspace (percentAreaOverlaps.fmw) Mark provided on that post to accomplish this! If you wanted to extract the area with the greatest overlap % you can use a StatisticsCalculator. I hope this helps! Kailin

Badge

You're right! Thanks!

Thanks, but where I put "StatististicsCalculator" ? I made his workspace and I tried to do what you said but it doesn't work

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

You're right! Thanks!

Hello @lachichi_farah​ , I placed the StatsCalc at the very end of the workflow and used the max function on the attribute storing % overlap. I successfully ran this in FME 2022.0, what version of FME are you using? Also, can you try to ellaborate on what is not working? Do you see any errors in the logfile on run? I'm not too familiar with your use case, so its diffifult to determine what are expected/unexpected results. If you can provide a bit more detail about what is not working in the workspace, I'm happy to try and help further. Best, Kailin

Badge

You're right! Thanks!

Thanks for your message. The version is 2021.1

Take a look at this screenshot:

Example