Question

The CSV file generated from an FME workbench when loaded to an SQL Server table has unwanted characters attached to the first row first column value, 

• 31 August 2022
  • 7 replies

File Encoding is Unicode 8-bit.

Tried changing the Write Byte Order Mark for Unicode to 'NO'. Still facing the same issue.

Cannot make any changes to the receiver of this file. Can you please suggest how to get rid of these characters?

Thanks

sresree

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Can you check the source data going in to the workspace, are those characters present there as well?

No they are not present in the source data. If a header is added, these characters are added to the first header. It is always added to the first row first column value.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

No they are not present in the source data. If a header is added, these characters are added to the first header. It is always added to the first row first column value.

Can you share screenshots of what it looks like in Visual Preview in FME Workbench as well as in Notepad or some other text editor?

Hi,

Thank you for looking into this.

I can confirm that these characters are not visible when viewing the data in FME workbench or when opening the file in Notepad/Excel.

If the CSV is imported to Excel and then saved as CSV and loaded to the SQL server table, these characters are not found in the first row, first column.

Thanks

sresree

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hi,

Thank you for looking into this.

I can confirm that these characters are not visible when viewing the data in FME workbench or when opening the file in Notepad/Excel.

If the CSV is imported to Excel and then saved as CSV and loaded to the SQL server table, these characters are not found in the first row, first column.

Thanks

sresree

Hmmm... I wonder if it's maybe a SQL Server issue then.

Hi,

If the CSV generated by FME workbench is imported to Excel and then saved as CSV and loaded to the SQL server table, these characters are not found in the first row, first column. What does that suggest?

Thanks

sresree

Badge +2

@sresree​ FME is adding a BOM (Byte Order Mark) that your SQL Server doesn't recognize. Try changing the Character Encoding on the CSV writer parameters