Question

How to filter the data that enters through an API when it arrives in several formats?

Badge

I am downloading data through an API from OS open source. The connection is set up correctly and the data is downloading when ran but it downloads several versions of the data in several formats such as SHP file, GML and Geotiff. For my project im working on I only need the shapefiles but I cannot figure out what tool to use to filter the rest of the unwanted data types out correctly. Or maybe its not a tool and its done in the JSONfeature parametres?

I have attatched some photos below so I hope it helps clear up any questions.

imageimage

17 replies

Badge +6

1.)Add a tester behind it or

2.)can u set the query of data what you need in the parameter settings ?

Badge +6

You can find it under "Schema Scan Mode" -> "Auto" is default - "JSON Query" is an option- when u set the reader.

Badge

The tester works great thank you! Not sure how I had not come across this before. Now all I need to do is expand these files which the API have downloaded so I can see their geometry and clip them. image

Badge +6

Clipper is the Transformer you need :)

Badge

Is the clipper able to expand this files?

Badge +6

or you use the "Search Envelope" in the Parameter Settings for your JSON Reader - for the Area you need.

Badge

or you use the "Search Envelope" in the Parameter Settings for your JSON Reader - for the Area you need.

Upon having a look I still think ive missed a step, in a test run where the data was in my own system the clipper worked fine and I could see the geometery but with the api data this time I cant view the geometry or clip it. Im not sure if i have exposed the shpfiles within the areas on the screen shot above

Badge +6

JSON Data and Clipper Area are in the same CoordinateSystem ?

Can you see through the Data in the Data Inspector ?

Badge +6

Is the clipper able to expand this files?

try the GeometryExtraktor - Option JSON

Badge

Thats a good point they probably are not. I cant seem to see what the API's coordinate system is anywhere

Badge +6

https://osdatahub.os.uk/ ? i think you get ur api from here ?

Badge +6

or try EPSG: 3857 or EPSG: 27700 for UK Data ;)

Badge +6

OS Maps API is available as EPSG:27700 (British National Grid which is applicable just for GB) and EPSG:3857 (Web Mercator which is a global coordinate system)

Badge

Before i respond i just wanna say thank you for all this help!

If thats the case with the API then it shoukd appear within the geometry but it still want display oddly

Badge +6

Try the Esri json reader - i think this is the right way to go ?

Badge +6

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/esrijson/esrijson.htm?

Badge

Ill give it a try! :)