Question

Extraction of the furthest point from a point list

• 22 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +7

Hello,

I have a (excel)list of points [x,y,z] which was recorded along a cable. The recording was done contiguously both upwards and downwards. Unfortunately without marking the reversal points. The starting point of the cable is the first point of the recording in the list. If I now generate a line from the point list using FME, I get a 3D line which runs both upwards and downwards. My goal is to split this line into two lines, but I haven't found a transformer that will give me the inversion point. 

My idea for determining the reversal point would be to determine the reversal point based on the distance to the starting point. The reversal point would then be the point from the point list with the greatest distance to the first point in the point list. How could I solve this elegantly in FME?

Thanks a lot for your support

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

using attribute manager, consider enabling adjacent feature handling. You have a choice to Select the number of prior or subsequent features. Now you create a new attribute that calculates the distance to the previous/subsequent feature. The resulting attribute and other attribute values may help in testing/sorting your features into the lines you wish to build

https://www.safe.com/blog/2017/08/adjacentfeatureattributes-evangelist166/