Question

Meaningless error (Error running translation)

• 20 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Hello together,

I'm a bit confused. I have a workbench where I merge attributes from 3 data sources. The result should being saved in an FFS file. But the workbench throws an error at the end which is completely meaningless to me. This is the end of the log file:

Translation was SUCCESSFUL with 25 warning(s) (919246 feature(s) output)
FME Session Duration: 35 minutes 27.1 seconds. (CPU: 1867.5s user, 275.9s system)
END - ProcessID: 25060, peak process memory usage: 17993084 kB, current process memory usage: 307928 kB
Translation was SUCCESSFUL
Error running translation.

On the one way the translation seems to be successful, in the other way there is an error running the translation.

One strange thing is that there are two instead one FFS file being created by the writer of the workbench: Output.ffs (with 39 FTS files) and Output_1.ffs (with 9 FTS files), although I defined just the Output.ffs in the writer.

In spite of the error I tried to load the Output.ffs into the Data Inspector. I also get an error here:

FFS reader: Could not read 15072 byte(s) from file 'D:\...\Output_1.fts'.  Data read from this file may be corrupt
FFS writer: Internal Error: Failed to initialize feature data retrieval
Failed to write feature data to `C:\Users\CLEVOC~1\AppData\Local\Temp\FFS_1661006545711_31844_DATA.ffs'
An error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details
Failed to specify the feature index as constraints on the reader

I also tried to run the workbench with less data but the problem always occurs.

Have you any experiences or hints with this kind of error?

Best regards

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

Are you using 'Enable Feature Caching' by chance? The second error makes me believe you are running into a memory issue. Do you have plenty of space left in your Temp directory? The FTS files are created by the FFS writer when certain input data types are converted.

Badge +2

@felixderglueckl​ What Version of FME? In FME 2022.0 there is a python compatibility issue that can arise if you have ArcGIS Pro 3.0 installed. Either try upgrading to FME 2022.1 or:

In the FME Workbench Navigator --> Workspace Parameter --> Scripting --> Python Compatibility

• Set the Python Compatibility to "Esri ArcGIS Python 3.9+"

If there is no python transformer in the workspace, you may need to add a single line under "Start up Python Script":

#

i.e. simply add a comment

This will ensure that FME does not overwrite Python Compatibility when editing the workspace.

Are you using 'Enable Feature Caching' by chance? The second error makes me believe you are running into a memory issue. Do you have plenty of space left in your Temp directory? The FTS files are created by the FFS writer when certain input data types are converted.

Hello @dustin​ . By default I use 'Enable Feature Caching'. After you mentioned I tried to run the workspace without enabled feature caching but I went into the same issues.

Well I do have enough space on the drive the Temp directory lies in. But I have to say that I have more workspaces to transform the data because of memory issues. I had to split them but before there was always clearly mentioned in the log that I have memory problems. In this case it is not mentioned.

Is it possible somehow to give FME more cache memory and to try it once again?

@felixderglueckl​ What Version of FME? In FME 2022.0 there is a python compatibility issue that can arise if you have ArcGIS Pro 3.0 installed. Either try upgrading to FME 2022.1 or:

In the FME Workbench Navigator --> Workspace Parameter --> Scripting --> Python Compatibility

• Set the Python Compatibility to "Esri ArcGIS Python 3.9+"

If there is no python transformer in the workspace, you may need to add a single line under "Start up Python Script":

#

i.e. simply add a comment

This will ensure that FME does not overwrite Python Compatibility when editing the workspace.

Hello @Mark Stoakes​ Actually I use version 2022.0 but I don't have ArcGIS Pro installed.

I just installed FME Desktop 2022.1.3 and FME Server 2022.1.3 am testing my existing desktop and server workbenches. I'm having the same issues when inspectors are enabled in the workspace, getting the "Error during Translation" message and no inspector results are produced, though the workbench completes successfully. Has there been any update on this issue?

Badge +2

I just installed FME Desktop 2022.1.3 and FME Server 2022.1.3 am testing my existing desktop and server workbenches. I'm having the same issues when inspectors are enabled in the workspace, getting the "Error during Translation" message and no inspector results are produced, though the workbench completes successfully. Has there been any update on this issue?

@gis_midwest​ you probably need to file a support case with Safe and send in a copy of the workspace and sample data so they can repoduce the issue and try and fix it

I just had the same problem, and it's definitely memory related. Checked my TaskManager and there was a random MS process backgroundtaskhost.exe chewing up 32Gb of memory. Killed it and returned to normal functioning

Saving the workspace and restarting FME solved the issue for me.