Question

IMAP oauth2 for Office365

• 15 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi all,

We currently use imap to connect to office365. The FME Imap process currrently uses basic auth which will be disabled my Microsoft in October this year.

I understand that imap with Office365 will still work, but only with modern auth OAuth2.

Does anyone have any experience with how to enable Oauth2 for FME IMAP, and can run thorugh how to do this.

Thanks,

4 replies

Badge

I have the same question, and think this could pose a real issue if there is no way to use OAuth 2.0 with the exchange server in FME Server. Does anyone have any advice on how to use OAuth 2 rather than basic IMAP Authentication?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/deprecation-of-basic-authentication-exchange-online

From what I understand, this is being turned off October 1st 2022, so active connections will cease at that date. I imagine this would impact a large amount of FME Server users making use of their exchange server and the IMAP trigger in FME Server Automations. (Or any notification services)

Cheers

Badge +6

Hi @sossie07​ & @kieran.odonnell​ ,

Our team is currently investigating the impact of the deprecation for basic authentication in both IMAP and SMTP protocols. Unfortunately, at this time we do not support the alternative authentication method.

Updates will be shared on this post when available.

Thanks,

Kezia

Badge

Just saw this: there is a patch in FME Server 2022.1 that addresses this. Might require some adjustment on the Azure/O365 end but it works.

Badge +6

Just saw this: there is a patch in FME Server 2022.1 that addresses this. Might require some adjustment on the Azure/O365 end but it works.

Thanks for sharing this! More information on the patch can be found in this article. If anyone runs into the error below with Azure after applying the patch, please see this resource which provides some potential resolutions. 

The request body must contain the following parameter: 'client_secret' or 'client_assertion'