Question

Has this happened to you? Is there a support group?

• 13 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

FME_ClusterFI really try to keep things nice and organized, but apparently all it takes is opening one bookmark and all heck breaks loose!!! This happens all the time and it's really straining my relationship with FME. I was working on another part of the workspace before noticing the chaos. I can't just hit undo. If anybody has any tips, it would be much appreciated. With Dynamo, I don't have this problem. Devs, are you listening?

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

https://community.safe.com/s/question/0D54Q00008AzgeeSAB/connections-completely-mixed-up-after-open-en-closing-bookmarks

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

Yes, this happens quite often with multiple bookmarks. I've learned to pull bookmarks away from everything else before expanding to avoid it. And yes, it's annoying.

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

For me, I would like to make use of the closed bookmarks because of it will partially disable featurecaching, but as it messes up my workspace I almost never use it. For the disabling, a "disable featurecaching" switch on each bookmark would be enough.

Badge +1

Yes, this happens quite often with multiple bookmarks. I've learned to pull bookmarks away from everything else before expanding to avoid it. And yes, it's annoying.

Thanks, everybody, for your responses. At least I’m not alone. But, there really needs to be some movement by Safe. It is, after all, a graphical coding application! This has been a known issue for at least 2 years.

I create complicated graphs in Dynamo and never have problems like this. Granted, Dynamo has less functionality, but they got it right when it comes to the rules of how their “transformers” behave within the “bookmarks “. Their auto-arrange feature is not perfect, but vastly superior to FME.

When I have to spend hours fixing a messed up workspace, that’s a dealbreaker. I encourage anyone affected by WCD (Workspace Chaos Disorder) to let Safe know your story.

Here is a link to an idea I posted over a year ago asking for Dynamo-like UI features. No doubt this is a heavy lift, but it goes to the fundamental reason people use FME.

Badge +6

Hi @lorenrouth​, there is an idea you can vote on to help inform our product development team of this need. Thank you for bringing this up!

Badge +1

Hi @lorenrouth​, there is an idea you can vote on to help inform our product development team of this need. Thank you for bringing this up!

Hi @jennaatsafe​ ,

Thanks for the link. This is a great idea but doesn't go far enough. There should be a way to "lock in" the transformers to it's respective bookmark so it doesn't happen in the first place. Also, the Auto-Layout is, at best, a gamble. I usually have to separate objects after using it because of how it jams everything together. Between my idea and @jovitaatsafe​'s , FME would become a much more user-friendly app. If there is anything I can do to further this effort, please reach out.