Solved

How do you construct points along a line knowing their distance from the origin of the line?

• 9 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello.

I have a layer of lines and a table of observations on these lines.

The line observation table contains the ID of the line on which the observation is made as well as its distance from the line origin.

I would like to build a layer of points along the lines containing the information of the observations respecting the distance of the observations to the origin.

Do you have any ideas? My research has only allowed me to create points in a regular way without being able to assign the attributes of the observations.

I am a beginner in FME, thanks in advance for your answers.

icon

Best answer by ebygomm 9 August 2022, 15:52

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

One possible method, although not the most efficient.

• Generate a measure on the line
  • Transfer the geometry with measure to the observation information (so you end up with each observation having the geometry of the line)
  • Use the snipper with mode measure and use the distance information to set the start and end. Setting the start and end to the same value results in a point at the specified distance along the line

It may not be the most effective but it is very smart and works perfectly. Thank you very much for your quick and precise answer