Solved

FME Clipper v14 very slow

• 6 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

I am updating multiple Workspaces to the newest version of FME Workbench 2022.1. Updating the transformers has proceeded well except for the Clipper transformer. I found that v14 takes substantially longer to process the data than v13 in all workspaces tested. In one example, v13 took 22 seconds and v14 was stopped after 10 minutes.

Any suggestions?

One item noted, when using v13 all 16,076 values are received from the PointOnArea transformer before Clipper starts processing; whereas, v14 appears to process one at a time

v13

imagev14

Update SettingsUpgrade Settings

icon

Best answer by lance 10 August 2022, 11:45

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

One thing that will be slowing your whole process down will be feature caching. I'd turn that off and test again to see if that is effecting the speed.

Also are you able to share your workbench (and data?) looking at one transformer in isolation does make it hard to identify any potential performance impacts

Badge +3

Thanks for the reply. This was observed on all the workbenches I updated Clipper from v13 to v14 and normally the feature caching is off. I turned it on to see what was going on as our workbenches had slowed to a crawl. I will see if I can put together a workbench and pull some sample data that demonstrates the issue.

Badge +3

While creating a sample , I could not replicate the issue.

Going back to one of the workspaces I was experiencing the problem. The issue still occurred when updating Clipper from v13 to v14. With feature caching OFF, v13 took 23 seconds, and v14 took over 8 minutes. However, rather than upgrading the transformer, I removed the v13 transformer, inserted a new v14 of Clipper, and configured it manually. Everything works. I used the same settings the update tool recommended just manually inputting them.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

While creating a sample , I could not replicate the issue.

Going back to one of the workspaces I was experiencing the problem. The issue still occurred when updating Clipper from v13 to v14. With feature caching OFF, v13 took 23 seconds, and v14 took over 8 minutes. However, rather than upgrading the transformer, I removed the v13 transformer, inserted a new v14 of Clipper, and configured it manually. Everything works. I used the same settings the update tool recommended just manually inputting them.

Sounds like there might be a bug when the transformer is upgraded

Badge +6

Hi @lance​, would you be able to provide a repro of the workspace with the v13 Clipper that was creating the slowdown after upgrading? Once I can confirm the bug I can open a case for you regarding this bug.