Question

How to fix bugged user parameter ?

I had a workspace with 13 user parameters. When renaming them all, I accidentally erased one's identifier, and it duplicated it and the new one is bugged.

When I try to save, the workspace crashes. After publishing it on the server, trying to run it shows not a single user parameter.

I can not delete it, and it is linked to every single transformer of the workspace (copy pasting any transformer from the bugged workspace to a new one imports the bugged user parameter and therefore corrupts the workspace).

userparameters

11 replies

Badge +2

I have the same issue and I'm trying to find a solution

I have the same issue and I'm trying to find a solution

I did not find one, and neither anyone here I suppose.

I opened the previous workspace on a second monitor, and carefully recreated it manually by hand.

A bummer.

Badge +2

I did not find one, and neither anyone here I suppose.

I opened the previous workspace on a second monitor, and carefully recreated it manually by hand.

A bummer.

That's unfortunate, I've just found a solution that worked for me:

I made a copy of the corrupted workspace and opened it in FME Workbench 2021.2.4

Luckily I encountered no missing transformers.

In 2021.2.4 the blank/empty parameter had turned into: FME_SYNTAX_FME_FME_INCLUDEBROWSE_NO

I could delete that parameter (without FME crashing) and save the workspace.

After that could open the workspace in 2022.0

Hopefully you can do something similar.

FME versions I used:

Version: FME(R) 2022.0.0.0 (20220428 - Build 22337 - WIN64)

Version: FME(R) 2021.2.4.0 (20220308 - Build 21814 - WIN64)

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @osacode​ what version of FME Desktop are you using? I haven't been able to reproduce the issue in FME 2022.1. When you erased the identifier, did you do that in the Manage User Parameter window? If I try to delete the identifier and leave it blank then it won't let me close the window. Some steps you took to produce the issue would help greatly.

Thanks!

Hi @osacode​ what version of FME Desktop are you using? I haven't been able to reproduce the issue in FME 2022.1. When you erased the identifier, did you do that in the Manage User Parameter window? If I try to delete the identifier and leave it blank then it won't let me close the window. Some steps you took to produce the issue would help greatly.

Thanks!

Hi @danminneyatsaf​ ,

Is there any workaround for this?

I encounter the same issue and not sure how to reproduce. I only remember creating a user parameter to select a folder, and I named the parameter, and filled the default value. After clicking save, the parameter is shown without a name, similar to the thread owner's screenshot.

Whenever I run the workspace, this empty parameter will always require to input a value in order to be run, even though it is not used anywhere. And when I input a value, I saw the number of user parameters increases. And when I open the user parameters management dialog, I saw a lot of empty parameters there. It will keep add up new empty parameters whenever I run the workspace.

I ended up getting like 4000 empty parameters, and when I selected all of them and tried to delete it one go, the applicate froze and not responding.

Now I cannot even open it after I tried to close the app and try again, the app will not respond. This FME template took me 1 week to prepare, and now I am on the verge of loosing all my work.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @danminneyatsaf​ ,

I encounter the same issue and not sure how to reproduce. I only remember creating a user parameter to select a folder, and I named the parameter, and filled the default value. After clicking save, the parameter is shown without a name, similar to the thread owner's screenshot.

Whenever I run the workspace, this empty parameter will always require to input a value in order to be run, even though it is not used anywhere. And when I input a value, I saw the number of user parameters increases. And when I open the user parameters management dialog, I saw a lot of empty parameters there. It will keep add up new empty parameters whenever I run the workspace.

I ended up getting like 4000 empty parameters, and when I selected all of them and tried to delete it one go, the applicate froze and not responding.

Now I cannot even open it after I tried to close the app and try again, the app will not respond. This FME template took me 1 week to prepare, and now I am on the verge of loosing all my work.

@dollyns​ I wasn't able to reproduce the issue myself so unfortunately I wasn't able to test for a workaround. If you're able to share your workspace with us, I can take a look and see if we can get a workaround. If you'd prefer to not share your workspace here publicly, please create a support case with us and include your workspace: https://community.safe.com/s/submit-case

I'm running into the exact same issue. I've already put too much time into this tool to re-create it manually (given that copy & paste doesn't work). So I'll just try to make it work with that bugged user parameter causing crashes every now and then.

Hi @danminneyatsaf​ ,

That happened to me as well. After the 4000+ empty user parameters got created, I essentially had to wait hours for the tool to open, select them, delete them, and then save them. Thankfully I could just do it overnight, but this was very disruptive.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

I'm running into the exact same issue. I've already put too much time into this tool to re-create it manually (given that copy & paste doesn't work). So I'll just try to make it work with that bugged user parameter causing crashes every now and then.

@brublanc​ what version of FME Form/Desktop are you running? I'd like to try reproducing the issue again. If you're able to share your workspace with us here (or via a case), then that would be very helpful. I suspect if you share your workspace file then it should be easily reproduceable.

@brublanc​ what version of FME Form/Desktop are you running? I'd like to try reproducing the issue again. If you're able to share your workspace with us here (or via a case), then that would be very helpful. I suspect if you share your workspace file then it should be easily reproduceable.

Of course! I will create a case and link it here. I was using the current Esri version of FME via the Data Interoperability extension (2022.1?) I should mention that I went ahead and used a personal license of the latest FME Form version (2023.?) and after a few saves the problem seems to have gone away? But I'll need to double check that, I've been busy with a tight deadline and haven't had much time to troubleshoot.

Badge +3

I encountered the same issue in the 2022.2.2.0 version. Like mentioned above already the solution is by copying the whole workspace to another FME version. However to solve this problem I needed to copy the content twice.

The workaround that worked with me was the following:

1. First I copied the whole content of my canvas from FME workbench 2022.2 to FME form 2023.2. The bugged parameter was still present in FME 2023 and showing the same behavior.
  2. I copied then back the content from the 2023.2 version to fme workbench 2022.2. With the second copy I got rid of this buggy user parameter. And I didn’t need to completely rebuild my workspace.

I hope this can work for other people too.

Kind regards,

Matthias