Question

How can I write or create a newline-delimited GeoJSON file

I'm currently exploring MapBox and their Tiling Service, which is currently in Beta and I'm trying to figure out how to create a line-delimited GeoJSON output so I can upload via their Tileset API. 

The data/file needs to take the format as per the example below:

Normal GeoJSON

{
    "type": "FeatureCollection",
    "features": [
        {
            "type": "Feature",
            "properties": {
                "name": "Melbourne"
            }, "geometry": {
                "type": "Point",
                "coordinates": [
                ]
            }
        }, {
                "name": "Canberra"
                ]
            }
        }, {
                "name": "Sydney"
                ]
            }
        }
    ]
}

Newline -delimited GeoJSON

{"type":"Feature","properties":{"name":"Melbourne"},"geometry":{"type":"Point","coordinates":[144.9584,-37.8173]}}
{"type":"Feature","properties":{"name":"Canberra"},"geometry":{"type":"Point","coordinates":[149.1009,-35.3039]}}
{"type":"Feature","properties":{"name":"Sydney"},"geometry":{"type":"Point","coordinates":[151.2144,-33.8766]}}

I know it's possible using other tools such as GDAL, Tippecanoe etc, but I'm sure someone has already solved this problem using FME. 

2 replies

Badge +11

Hi @daichisuba​,

This may not be the most elegant solution, and maybe you can build upon it or another community member may be able to suggest a better one, but I gave it a try on my end and got the new line delimited output in this way in case you want to give it a go:

1. Read using the standard JSON (Javascript Object Notation) reader 
  2. ListExploder on features{}
  3. StringConcatenator set to New Attribute: text_line_data and String Expression below (you may want to delete the spaces if they are unwanted):
  4. Text File Writer, set the writer extension to .txt first and then go back to the Navigator to change the destination path so the extension is .json instead. 
{"type": "@Value(type)", "properties":{"name": "@Value(properties.name)"},"geometry": {"type":"@Value(geometry.type)", "coordinates":@Value(geometry.coordinates{0}), @Value(geometry.coordinates{1})}}

Badge +10

If you read the json as a block of text, JSONFragmenter using 

json["features"][*]

to get each feature, rename the json to text_line_data and then write using a regular text writer