Question

What's Up Wednesday (27-July-2022): Academy Update, Transformers for ArcGIS Online, A Hub Improvement, Community Forums, and User Conference Build Up.

• 27 July 2022
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hello FMEers,

Welcome to What's Up Wednesday.

Academy Update

This week, the FME Server Authoring Trail has been updated on the FME Academy. As you might know, a "Trail" is an extensive course composed of multiple modules, so this is a comprehensive update.

WUW-2022-07-27-01 

In fact, you can see it's 7 hours of content, worth 4,000+ points, and even consists of multiple smaller trails:

• Publish Workflows to the Web trail
    • What is FME Server?
    • Publish Workflows to the Web
  • Create Data Integration Apps trail
    • Build Basic Self-Serve Workflows
    • Manage FME Server Data and Connections
    • Build Versatile Self-Serve Workflows
  • Automate Data Integration Tasks trail
    • Build Basic Automations
    • Build Versatile Automations
    • Create No-Code Web Apps
    • Connect Automations with Job Orchestration

I think there's something there for all FME Server users and - as always - this content is free to access on the FME Academy.

Esri ArcGIS Online Hub Transformers

I may have mentioned these already, but, just in case you weren't aware, there is a series of transformers on the FME Hub that integrate with ArcGIS Online services using their REST API.

WUW-2022-07-27-02 

I mention these again because there is now a short blog post that goes into more detail about each of these items. But there's also a fantastic example article on the knowledge base that shows how to use these transformers for a Food Desert analysis whose output is displayed in an ArcGIS Online dashboard:

WUW-2022-07-27-03 

There's also a webinar on the subject, which you may have missed because it's live as I write this! But you can find the recording on our website.

FME Hub

On the subject of the FME Hub, I see we made a small performance improvement this week. It means that hub items should load faster and more reliably in Workbench.

Hopefully, you'll notice a pleasing improvement. But if you see any issues, you know how to contact us.

Community Forums

I know we already have an article on how to write a good forum question, but I was alerted to this tweet recently and thought I'd share its content here:

WUW-2022-07-27-04 

I think this is a great template for asking FME questions, and the conclusion is true too. Many times I've started to file a bug report with our developers in this way, and by the end of it either:

• I've realized it's not a bug at all (it's all my mistake) OR
  • I've got some additional information that will help to get a quicker response.

So, please respect our community contributors and follow this structure when you post a question to the FME forums. A lot of the time you'll solve the problem yourself. But if you don't, you'll have a lot more information to help the rest of the community to solve it for you.

User Conference Build Up

We all know the FME User Conference is coming up and we're getting very excited about it all at Safe. Today I saw an internal message that said:

"Are there two people in the office today who could move some boxes? UC swag has arrived and there are 9 boxes, weighing 30 pounds each!"

So you had better turn up because we have a LOT of swag. If FME swag is worth its weight in gold, that would be about $7 million!

Besides that, I've been working on a Server dashboard for the Community Cafe part:

WUW-2022-07-27-05 

...while my colleague Mark W has been helping to improve the FME City Guesser game to new heights:

WUW-2022-07-27-06 

I also notice that we have a number of sponsors for the event, including:

WUW-2022-07-27-07 

Minor News

• As Internet Explorer 11 has been retired, so support is withdrawn for it on FME Server.
  • A recording of the FME in Transportation group's Road Inventory Data Validation presentation can be found on YouTube.
  • The FME Scavenger Hunt continues with the lead changing multiple times. Team Nordend is still top... but for how much longer?!

WUW-2022-07-27-08 

Congratulations on certification to Josée Boudreau, Francois Laganière (Business Professional), and to Nicole Howie, Karen Smith (FME Professional).

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Thanks!