Question

Connect to Windows File Server

• 27 July 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I am trying to build a process where files are being generated on a Windows Server.

I am wanting to takes these files convert them from .doc to .pdf then upload them to a SharePoint location then delete the files from their original location on the Windows server.

I believe I can see to the the format conversion and SharePoint upload but am really struggling to figure out how to connect to the Windows Server which requires different permissions from my normal user account to read the files in the specific folder.

What Reader/Connector should I use to be able to connect to the Windows Server to gain access to the files?

Thanks

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @lairdd1989​, I think as long as you have the correct permissions you can use a UNC path in the Directory and File Pathways reader. Unfortunately, we don’t offer a format reader for .doc or .docx, so these will need to be converted to PDF before they can be read into FME. There is likely a python module you can use to convert doc -> pdf (which could be used in a PythonCaller in FME Desktop). The Directory and Pathways reader will generate features for each file in the designated folder, and the file path can be used in the PythonCaller to reference the .doc files you want to convert. Once your data is in FME, I think you’ll want to use the SharepointOnlineConnector. Best, Kailin.