Question

Python compability, FME Desktop 2022 (for using ArcPy)

Hello,

Recently, we have installed FME Destkop 2022.1.

We are aware of the fact that FME Desktop 2022 only supports Python 64-bit. On the same machine, ArcGIS Pro 2.8 is installed.

Although Esri ArcIS Python 3.7 is selected as parameter and as preferred Python Interpreter, it seems to be impossible to use ArcPy. After many attempts, still the same error appears:

"Python Exception <OSError>: [WinError 193] %1 is not a valid Win32 application."

What could be wrong?

Kind regards,

Pim van der Zwaag.

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello @pzwaag_wf​ , sorry you're encountering this! Would you be able to share a logfile with the error captured? From the error, it looks like a bit-version mismatch. Happy to help, Kailin.

Dear Kailin,

Thank you for your quick answer. Attached the logfile. "is geen geldige Win32-toepassing" (Dutch) means "is not a valid Win32-application".

Kind regards,

Pim van der Zwaag.

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Dear Kailin,

Thank you for your quick answer. Attached the logfile. "is geen geldige Win32-toepassing" (Dutch) means "is not a valid Win32-application".

Kind regards,

Pim van der Zwaag.

Hello @pzwaag_wf​ , thanks for sharing the logfile. Everything looks OK in the log, would you be able to check your environment variables? (On your machine: Start > Edit the system Environment Variabes).

Do you see any paths that are specific to other versions of Python (eg. 2.7 or 3.6, etc) in your PATH environment variables? Best, Kailin.

Hello Kailin,

Yes, with and without environment settings (system), still the same error.....

Attached a screenshot with the system variable.

Kind regards,

Pim van der zwaag.

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello Kailin,

Yes, with and without environment settings (system), still the same error.....

Attached a screenshot with the system variable.

Kind regards,

Pim van der zwaag.

Thanks @pzwaag_wf​, after you removed the environment variable, did you restart your machine?

I would highly recommend you logout and/or restart your machine after making the changes (ie. removing PYTHONPATH and any other Python 2.7 paths) and before running the workspace again.

Would you mind trying this and restarting your machine? Let me know if you still have issues please! Best, Kailin.

Hello Kailin,

Unfortunately, that did not help....

All paths were removed from the evironment settings, machine restarted and still the same error....

Kind regards,

Pim van der Zwaag.

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello Kailin,

Unfortunately, that did not help....

All paths were removed from the evironment settings, machine restarted and still the same error....

Kind regards,

Pim van der Zwaag.

Hello @pzwaag_wf​, would you mind submitting a support case with us? I think we'll need to take a closer look. Thanks, Kailin. 

Hello @pzwaag_wf​, would you mind submitting a support case with us? I think we'll need to take a closer look. Thanks, Kailin. 

Yes! I have just submitted a support case. Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,

Pim van der Zwaag.

Hello Kailin,

I would be interessted into the results of the support case.'

I was struggeling with the same issue.

BTW: Is there any supported way to use the ArcGIS arcpy shipped with ArcMAP in FME 2022.x ?

Kind regards,

Andreas.

Userlevel 1
Badge +14

Hi @andreas_t​ unfortunately we do not have a resolution to the case because they were forwarded to their reseller for support. If you would like, you could also create a support case where you can provide your log file and any other supporting information that you believe would help.

However, I have some additional thoughts that could help if you have already tried the above.

• Do you have ArcGIS Desktop installed with ArcGIS Background Geoprocessing? if so, try uninstalling the ArcGIS Background Geoprocessing from your programs list
  • ArcGIS Desktop is 32bit and might be the conflicting
  • Similar cases have suggested that if arcpy is involved, it might be related to 64bit background processing

Cheers, Evie