Question

Reading Microstation DGN Header information

Badge +6

The documentation for the IGDS (DGN) reader states that "Design files consist of a header, followed by a series of elements. The header contains global information including the transformation equation from design units to user coordinates, as well as the dimension of the elements in the file" . My question is how do I read only the header information - coordinates and dimensions etc. I have a large number of files and I just want to the header info from each one. I know how to run the batch processing part with the workspace runner but can't figure out how to set up the reader.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @eric_armitage​ , thanks for posting! Reading DGN header information / metadata is not yet supported in FME Desktop unfortuntely (FMEENGINE-8585). I took a look through the ideas page, but didn't see an idea for this yet. If this is something you would like to see added to FME, I might consider creating an idea. Sorry I don't have better news for you, Kailin.

Badge +6

Hello @eric_armitage​ , thanks for posting! Reading DGN header information / metadata is not yet supported in FME Desktop unfortuntely (FMEENGINE-8585). I took a look through the ideas page, but didn't see an idea for this yet. If this is something you would like to see added to FME, I might consider creating an idea. Sorry I don't have better news for you, Kailin.

Thanks Kailin. Yes I will definitely create an idea. I'm quite surprised that it is not possible to read the coordinate system, with FME for example. Obviously that's a fairly fundamental requirement if you are trying to automate CAD to GIS format conversion. Hopefully a change will be implemented soon.