Question

convert ascii format from TX RRC into usable data. (308 bytes per record, schema description with beginning, ending positions.

• 21 July 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +9

I have many files in this ascii format. The RRC has MAGNETIC TAPE USER GUIDE with field descriptions that contain beginning and ending positions. I have attempted to use the schema mapper with csv file that describes this but have yet to figure out how to make that work.

please help,

Files are located here.

fileThe file looks like this...

formatThe format description is like total bytes per record 308 bytes.

MASTER FILE TAPE RECORD

SEGMENT KEY NAME DESCRIPTION

01 DAROOT DA ROOT SEGMENT

02 DAPERMIT DA PERMIT MASTER SEGMENT

03 DAFIELD DA FIELD SEGMENT

04 DAFLDSPC DA FIELD SPECIFIC DATA SEGMENT

05 DAFLDBHL DA FIELD BOTTOM-HOLE LOCATION SEGMENT

06 DACANRES DA CANNED RESTRICTIONS

07 DACANFLD DA CANNED RESTRICTION FIELDS

08 DAFRERES DA FREE-FORM RESTRICTIONS

09 DAFREFLD DA FREE-FORM RESTRICTION FIELDS

10 DAPMTBHL DA BOTTOM-HOLE LOCATION SEGMENT

11 DAALTADD DA ALTERNATE ADDRESS SEGMENT

12 DAREMARK DA PERMIT REMARKS

13 DACHECK DA CHECK REGISTER SEGMENT

14 DAW999A1 DA GIS SURFACE LOCATION COORDINATES

15 DAW999B1 DA GIS BOTTOM HOLE LOCATION COORDINATES  

attrib1 position1

attrib2 position3

attrib3 postion10

format2so on and so forth.

how do i get a schema mapper to recognize this?

Or is it something other than a schema mapper that i need to use?

1 reply

Badge +2

@Brad Nesom​ Thanks for including the sample data. These look like Texas Railroad Commission (RRC) data files. We have configured FME to read some of the record types for these files before. A specification similar to the attached PDF specification usually accompanies these files - can you attach the PDF spec for you data?

The approach we took was a two- step process:

• formatting: use information derived from the PDF data spec. to create some 'format' files that FME can read. These represent the schema of the source data and then how it can be written out as a more easily interpreted CSV file. For each RRC record type we created an AttirbuteSplitter format string
  • Convert to CSV: using the configuration files above convert to pipe (|) delimited CSV for easier interpretation. These are then easier to convert into the target format.

The trick to the whole thing was creating the formatting files. The data we worked with doesn't seem to match the data you have attached.