Question

What's Up Wednesday (20-July-2022): Accelerating your FME, Co-Founder in the News, Conference Updates, and UV Maps

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hello and welcome to What's Up Wednesday,

Here are some stories about FME news for this week.

Accelerating your FME

I've seen a few training courses recently labelled "accelerators", and obviously, the aim is to bring users up to speed with key technology in a short time. So did you know that there is an FME Accelerator training course?

WUW-2022-07-20-01 

If you're a long-term FME user, who's already taken several training courses, then this might not be for you. But... it would be very useful for that colleague of yours who has used FME a little bit, yet isn't aware of the full potential of FME.

It's 90 minutes of pure inspiration to bring you up to speed with FME potential and functionality.

Anyway, I mention this because we have some upcoming Accelerator courses and because our New Zealand/Australian partner, Locus, is now also offering the FME Accelerator.

WUW-2022-07-20-02 

That's great news for all your FME beginners outside of the Vancouver timezone limits. So check it out, and also look out for your local partner in case they will offer this course too.

Co-Founder Don in the News

Safe's co-founder Don Murray has been in the news quite a lot this week, so I wanted to share some of his activities.

We have two articles on Forbes in which Don features:

The titles are a bit click-baity, but they are worth reading. Do you agree with Don's contributions? Let me know what you think.

Then Don appeared on a GISCafe "Bunker Broadcast" to talk about FME in general, but our week at the Esri conference in particular.

WUW-2022-07-20-03Finally, Don appeared again on an EM360 podcast, this one titled How Data Powers our Society and Species for Tomorrow.

Incidentally, the host of that podcast, Susan Walsh, is also a keynote at our upcoming FME User Conference:

WUW-2022-07-20-04 

This leads me to...

FME User Conference Updates

I can't wait for the conference. It's so exciting to think about seeing old friends and colleagues in person for the first time in years.

But if you can't make it in person, then luckily we're making a limited number of sessions available online. You can find which by going to the conference agenda and filtering by Live Stream:

WUW-2022-07-20-05 

And then you can sign up for digital access on our website.

Of course, you will want to come in person because then you can participate in the scheduled pre-conference training. That includes the Dynamic Workflows training that I'm leading†, as well as the Powering Up FME Workspaces with Python course being led by staff from con terra:

WUW-2022-07-20-06 

Finally, when you see Basecamp on the agenda:

WUW-2022-07-20-07 

...that's where I'll be spending much of my time, at the Community Café. But it's also where you'll find:

• The Tech Solutions Lounge: what used to be called the Doctor's Office
  • A User Experience Booth for giving feedback about and ideas for FME
  • An Industry Solutions Lounge to learn industry best practices
  • A Customer Testimonials booth
  • ...and much more!

So please do stop on by.

UV Maps

In this week of scorchingly hot weather in Europe (where I live we just had powerful rainstorms) Donegal Maps (in Ireland) used FME to produce their first UV (ultraviolet radiation) level alert map:

WUW-2022-07-20-08 

This is just the latest in a series of excellent weather-related maps including high-temperatures, fog, rainfall, and ice. Find them on Twitter and give them a follow. Even if you don't live in Donegal, their content is interesting and inspiring.

Don't forget: on the FME Community you can now vote for which FME webinars you'd like to see us host later this year.

Hey, if I can't promote my own training course, what can I do?!

0 replies

Be the first to reply!